Foie gras help needed!!

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by marmalady, Aug 7, 2002.

1. marmalady

marmalady

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Before my question, a little parental bragging must be done to set the stage. My older son Justin, will be coming to visit in September. haven't seen him since last summer, when I went to Charleston to visit him. He's become quite the home cook, and uses his talents to lure in the ladies quite often!! And when there's a 'Q', he's called on for either his own spice-rubbed pork, or a jerk chicken with Caribbean rum sauce!

Whenever he comes up, we do a 'request' dinner for him, either a dish he remembers from boyhood, or something he's seen that he wants to try. Well. This year, the ingredient is foie gras - he's read about it, seen it on TV (a la Emeril!), and wants to try it!

I'd love to do something just real simple, so he can get a good sense of the foie itself; something like a simple saute of it with a sauce of ? port/cherries, or apples?

Any suggestions? CC, I'm counting on you!

2. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  3. bouland

bouland

i have a whole article on foie gras that contains a bunch of recipes as well as information on how to handle the raw material. The foie gras poché au vin doux is an easy one to start with that also doesn't hide the flavor of the foie gras.

4. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Marmalady,

I will PM you with a couple of thoughts in regards to sauteing Foie Gras.

For your son be sure to reserve an "A" rated liver (Hudson Valley) and let me know if you need to know the details invovled with preparing the lobe (i.e.blood lines etc).

Lucky son you have :)

5. marmalady

marmalady

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Thanks, CC and Bouland!

I'm okay on the preparation - looks more like my dilemma is going to be supply - haven't checked Dean and DeLuca yet, but that's probably where I'll get it.

CC, is 'mizuna tangelo' just a type of tangelo? I may have to use other citrus, as I haven't seen any tangelos in the market - aren't they more 'wintery'?

Yes, he is a lucky son - but I'm a lucky mom, too! After a very stormy adolescence, we've really become good friends, and most of our closeness has come about because of the wonderful world of food, and sharing with each other.

6. chefgbs

chefgbs

Hi marmalady,

One of my favorite ways to prepare foie gras is to serve it as a napoleon with slices of granny smith apples. I pan sear the foie slices, remove them from the pan, and add the round, cored, and unpeeled slices of apple. Once they are warmed through, remove them from the pan and add golden raisins that have been soaked in calvados or brandy. Assemble the napoleon and pour the pan drippings with the raisins over it.

7. kimmie

kimmie

Hi Marm,

For inspiration and if you have time, please go to a book store and find Foie Gras: A Passion by Michael A. Ginor and Mitchell Davis. Lots of ideas and recipes and the pix are fabulous.
    :)

8. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Marmalady,
    Before you go to Dean and Deluca might I suggest my favorite fine food purveyor

https://www.dartagnan.com/item.asp?item=FDUFG103
    The Fois Gras is less expensive and these items are all they do, I have always loved their products. Check them out.

9. marmalady

marmalady

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Wow, CHRose, I must have had a real senior moment there! Can't believe I didn't think of D'artagnan, and of course that's where I'll go! Remember the 'Wow, I could've had a V-8' commercial? That's what I feel like! :blush:

I'm getting such good ideas from you guys, it's going to be hard to decide! Thanks so much, all, for your input!

10. bouland

bouland

I'd also check out your local restaurant suppliers. I buy my raw foie gras from a local supplier here in San Francisco for about $23 per pound. That's significantly less than D'Artagnan. I just phone my order to the supplier and then pick it up later in the day.

11. chefvb

chefvb

IF YOU ARE MAKING THE TROUBLE AND EXPENSE TO MAKE FOIE GRAS AND HOME IN ORDER TO GET THE MOST OUT OF YOUR MONEY I RECOMEND FOIE GRAS AU TOURCHON ITS AN ALL USSING DISH AND ONCE MADE CAN BE SERVED COLD OR SEARED PROPERLY FAR A HOT DISH WHILE CREATING NO WASTE A GOOD RECIPIE CAN BE FOUND IN THOMAS KELLERS THE FRENCH LUANDRY AKA THE BLUE BOOK