Fluid gel questions

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by totte, Apr 14, 2017.

1. totte

totte

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Hi, My SO is having a friend over tomorrow and I offered myself to cook for them.

My main course plan is: Deer steak cooked slowly in the oven thru out the day, plated with a nice pink cut for show with some "standing/curled" sweet potato chips, small blackened onions and asparagus "heads". With a mustard/esdragon sauce and double fried chips on the side.

I started playing some with Agar for the first time today and then I thought, I should probably try get some color in there tomorrow. Preferably red or something else that stands out a bit from the rest. Only downside is, she does not like beef root too much, but that's not my problem :p

So, my questions..

What proportions should I use for juice, sugar & Agar?

Is Xanthan gum necessary?

Any other suggestion that would fit with my dish instead of beetroot?

All recopies I can find for liquid gel is "restaurant proportions", like a lot.

Thankful for any help. ^^

2. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    A good starting point would be between 1%-2% agar by weight of your total liquid. Sugar adds to the stability of the gel, but can also make it more liquid once blended. Also, acidic food will weaken the gel. 

So 1-2% is a good starting point. 

Xantham gum shouldn't be necessary unless somehow the gel turns out too thin (if you added extra water to the blender, for example).

Make sure you pass your gel through a tamis or strainer after blending. 

I don't have any specific ideas for your gel, but I would assume anything sweet/sour/fruity would do the trick...most berry purees, etc. 

3. totte

totte

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Thanks for the pointers!

Something sweet/sour/fruity is good enough for me! Was thinking of mango or pineapple as well. ^^

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017