Flourless Chocolate Cake

Joined Nov 10, 2017
Good Morning:

Looking for any advice or experience with xanthan gum and egg whites. I have a flourless chocolate cake recipe that I have developed and been using for years. Recently I have begun experimenting with xanthan gum in sauces, particularly cold sauces, to thicken them without heating. I was wondering if anyone had any experience whipping it into egg whites. I thought it would help stabilize the meringue even more than cream of tartar and give me maximum lift and yield, but I was not sure if it would dissolve properly in the egg whites, and what the reaction would be to heat. Any thoughts, suggestions, or advice in baking with it?

Joined Sep 26, 2017
Please don't do it. Affects the mouth feel adversely.

This is only true if the proportion is wrong.

Commercial stabilized liquid egg whites use ≈0.1% xanthan gum by weight.

These whites whipped to a greater volume, hold their peaks longer, and don't deflate as easily when folded into other stuff.

Joined Nov 10, 2017
This is only true if the proportion is wrong.

Commercial stabilized liquid egg whites use ≈0.1% xanthan gum by weight.

These whites whipped to a greater volume, hold their peaks longer, and don't deflate as easily when folded into other stuff.
Thank you, that is eggsactly what I am looking for...

Joined Sep 26, 2017
so for 40 egg whites, I am looking at about .75 g of Xanthan, correct?

Should be 1.3 g because 40 white ≈ 1.3 kg.

You should test it on a smaller batch first though. I don't know what technique the liquid egg whites producer uses to incorporate the xanthan gum.

Top Bottom