Flour storage ?

Joined Aug 10, 2013
I have some white corn flour, don't go through it that fast. Is it a good idea to keep it refrigerated?

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I was just reading about the storage of different flours and the basic idea was to vacuum seal it and freeze it. It should last a really long time. So that's what I've done with all of my flours, AP, Bread, Rice, etc.
Oh and I know this may sound elementary, but do mark each bag with the date it went into the deep freeze and what's in it.

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Here's another thing that I do now since all of the food item recalls:
IMG_1058.JPG

When ever I remove food stuffs from the original packaging to store in containers, I clip off the company logo, best by and any upc codes or other markings to identify the product.
I've already had two bags of Flour that I had to chuck, but I wouldn't have known that had I not done this.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Intresting ...
Do you guys really have that many food recalls? And on things like flour?

If I had enough space, I would store my flour in the freezer.
But I don't, so I just keep it in tupperware and check for weevils every now and again.
And smell whole wheat flour as it can get a bit rancid

Joined Aug 22, 2021
I was just reading about the storage of different flours and the basic idea was to vacuum seal it and freeze it. It should last a really long time. So that's what I've done with all of my flours, AP, Bread, Rice, etc.
Oh and I know this may sound elementary, but do mark each bag with the date it went into the deep freeze and what's in it.
Freezing kills of the bugs, e.g. flour weavils

Joined Aug 22, 2021
Intresting ...

But I don't, so I just keep it in tupperware and check for weevils every now and again.
Freeze over night, then remove from the freezer and place on a shelf.

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Intresting ...

For a time there butzy butzy we were having food recalls more often than I would have liked.
I had purchased 3 Five Pound bags of AP and didn't know that it can go bad on you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom