Flavoured Oils & Vinegars

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by tranquilfirefly, Nov 5, 2002.

1. tranquilfirefly

tranquilfirefly

I want to make flavored oils, I have plenty of recipes and ideas for flavors but I am not sure of the process. Some say just add herbs and spices in and other says heat the oil to infuse the flavor and prevent botulism. I need specific instructions on the process of making and bottling please?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you:)

2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hello TranquilFireFly, and welcome to Chef Talk. You have asked a great question, and I'm sure you'll attract answers if you post it in a forum that's better for such questions. Try posting it in the Recipe Exchange Forum.

Also, we invite you to stop in at the Welcome Forum to tell us a bit about yourself.

Don't overlook our search capability to look for topics of interest to you that we may have covered in earlier posts.

Again, welcome to Chef Talk!

Mezzaluna

3. ebola

ebola

Most depends on what herbs - dryed or fresh you use. Especialy with oils. Also what for - dressing or cooking. Oils soak flavor from dry herbs slowly if its cold blend, but to heat oil for dressing is not right anyway, I think. But if You use it for sauces or shalow frying, it goes out right away under heat. In my opinion method is not a matter if you got result!

4. mike

mike

:chef:

5. mike

mike

hello from mike in england,

re flavoured oils & vinegars... sterilise your jars or bottles
    with either tablets or in a hot oven after washing for 20mins
    suggest blanching & refreshing any herbs but generally you
    just need to wash things like chillies, you should cover contents
    completely with oil or vinegar & aim to use within 3 months.
    any oxidisation or spoilage will show visually. try red chillies,
    peppercorns,garlic & thyme.this gets better with age.try this pheasant breasts marinated in oj peel juice red wine
    bay & garlic . quickly pan fry dried breasts in chilli oil & deglase
    pan with balsamic vinegar.

regards

mike