Flavor profiles on Mushroom served raw?

Joined Apr 30, 2018
Hey y'all. Looking to see what mushrooms you guys like to use raw? Try to describe how they taste.

Joined May 30, 2015
For raw, I prefer the classic white button mushroom. I would describe the texture/taste as an earthy, savory marshmallow (texturally, not flavor-wise). Other mushrooms are great in soups and cooked dishes, and my favorite overall are enoki, but for raw white buttons are very delicate and offer a good contrast in things like salads.

Joined Apr 30, 2018
For raw, I prefer the classic white button mushroom. I would describe the texture/taste as an earthy, savory marshmallow (texturally, not flavor-wise). Other mushrooms are great in soups and cooked dishes, and my favorite overall are enoki, but for raw white buttons are very delicate and offer a good contrast in things like salads.

I was looking for something other than the color white. Might be cool to shave and sit them in a colored liquid, say beet juice. What's something green that can be juiced and soaked up by a mushroom and retain the green color?
You'd have to dry them out afterwards too, dehydrator would dull the color. Few nights on a rack in the cooler?

Joined May 30, 2015
Maybe a spinach broth like they do with tri-color pasta - or perhaps an aspic with plain gelatin and green food coloring with sliced mushrooms fanned out on the inside.

Latest posts

Top Bottom