Flavor and Air Enhanced Food

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by chefedb, Sep 19, 2010.

1. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    The other day we talked about flavor enhanced poultry. It is now also being done with some cuts of meat. Keep in mind this is a far cry from marinating. In some cases it is done under forced pressure. Aside from adding 18 to 25% by weight (so you are buying water) it also adds to the sodium content of the product which affects both health and taste. They claim it is for taste thats a lot of B

it is for profit.  It sought of reminds me what the ice cream guys do. Add air to all their mixes for product volume thus filling the container, soon they will tell you its for your health so it makes you lose weight by eating air and not product. Throw a quart of water on your scale it weighs 2 Pounds now throw a quart of ice cream on scale and note the weigh. Who is kidding who here. Soon we will open a package, it will be empty , but that according to them is good for us.????????

2. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    Ed, in the case of icecream, the air is the least of the problems.  To make the stuff HOLD the air, it;s full of other crap.  Once my mother, whose memory was gone and had food in the house that was 20 years old, opened a quart of ice cream.  It had completely evaporated in the freezer, that's how long it had been there.  But it was bizarre, it held its shape, despite there being no liquid in it.  It was like a sponge made of rubber. 

I doubt that cream and chocolate do that!

3. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Gels, vegetable gums, stabilizers, carob beam and guava gum paste to name a few of inert ingredients.. YUM YUM

4. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    Well, see, Ed, it's a lot of health food.  Vegetables, carobs, guava!  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif