flattening stone?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by Johann_cooks, May 20, 2019.

1. Johann_cooks

Johann_cooks

Exp:
    beginner
    My niece has this 1200 grit whetstone and I just bought her the Arashiyama 6000 stone.

Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think she needs a Nagura but I do think she needs a flattening stone so is there a best flattening stone to get her?

2. Bobby2shots

Bobby2shots

Exp:
    Home knife afficionado
    A 400-grit Atoma diamond plate would be my personal preference. That said, a sheet of cloth-backed silicon carbide 220 grit sand-paper fastened to a flat surface, such as a piece of plate glass might be a cheaper solution. You could also use man-made laminates such as MDF for the "backing", but you have to avoid water absorption into the surface of the substrate.

3. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    The amount of time she'll spend flattening is probably not significant if she is just a home cook and has good knives. Get her a King 300, she will eventually need it, and she can reserve the bottom side for flattening. I think it will serve that purpose for her well enough for years.

4. Johann_cooks

Johann_cooks

Exp:
    beginner
    Thank you both. I was a bit impatient and went with the Atoma 140 on a recommendation I received.

5. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    The Atoma 140 will leave a bit of a rough finish on fine stones, but it will wear smooth pretty fast.