Flapjacks beating me help req

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by bearchef 1950, Sep 30, 2014.

1. bearchef 1950

bearchef 1950

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Hi

Hope someone can help need to make flapjacks in bulk but really struggling with them crumbling ,have tried everything from syrup v honey weights,covering with foil,longer shorter cooking times but the same result -:( have tried cooling I walk in chiller but this is worse lol,
    Wondering if sugar will make a difference been using demerrera will normal refined sugar make a difference ? Hope someone can help got to make 1,000 portions for a party

2. grande

grande

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Can you give us your recipe & a little info about your method?

3. bearchef 1950

bearchef 1950

Exp:
    Owner/Operator

900 grams butter
    300 grams demerrera sugar
    450 grams golden syrup or honey
    1350 grams oats have tried large and small oats, better with small

Melt butter,sugar,honey in pan and add oats,
    Place I a well greased gn tray and cook @ 180 degrees for 20/ 25 minutes
    Score after 20 mins leave to cool overnight before cutting

4. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    needs an egg and maybe touch of flour to bind  To much butter and sweet things

5. grande

grande

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Wow, i had to google this up, where i come from flapjacks are pancakes! The one thing I noticed is that wikipedia called for brown sugar & you're using demerara; that could definately be the culprit.

6. fablesable

fablesable

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I used to have to make loads of these while living in the UK. Here is my recipe....you will notice that you are using waaaayyy too much butter, syrup and oats which will make it super crunchy or just crumble entirely. 

1250g porridge oats

625g butter

625g brown sugar (not demerrera please)

225g golden syrup

Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until fully mixed. DO NOT over mix...make sure the oats keep their texture. Lightly grease your baking tins with butter (not oil or spray as this leaves a bad taste). Spoon in the mixture and spoon spread into the corners making sure it is flat and score your bars. 

Place in oven and bake at 180 degrees for 20 minutes (until golden brown). They will be soft when you take them out of the oven so let them sit in the pan for 20 minutes before fiddling with them. 

I tend to like to experiment with time and temp as well as additional ingredients. I have found this recipe can endure 160 degrees and 15 mins until just golden and then cool in pan for 30+ mins and it makes a softer product just as yummy. I added a variety of dried fruits and nuts or topped with caramel and chocolate for a unique version of millionaires bar. 

Hope this helps and let me know how it goes!!