Fish Veracruz Question ???

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by chefbillyb, Jan 22, 2011.

1. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I make a Red Clam sauce using a Cioppino type sauce, steam the clams in the sauce and serve with spaghetti. This is a picture of the Spaghetti with Red Clam Sauce. I also use the leftover sauce to make a Fish Veracruz by adding peppers to spice this up a bit. I would like to get more offsetting color for the Veracruz sauce, any ideas????????????/  ChefBillyB

[​IMG]

I made this last night at home, the plate is a bit messy, please forgive me I was hungry and the garlic bread was yelling at me to take it out of the oven.......................

2. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Manzanilla olives, capers, golden raisins

3. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hi Chef, I like the Capers and Olives and plan to add Jalapenos. What I was trying to do is get a bit more of a Caribbean look and taste into the dish. I have a spicy seafood favored red sauce with some heat from the Jalapenos peppers, saltiness from the capers and also the flavor of the olives that bring a Mediterranean look to the dish. My wife would kill me if I put raisins in the dish. The last time I made this I was in Mexico and I thought it needed a bit more color, making it look more Caribbean...Chefbillyb

4. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    My wife hates raisins also, too bad as they are definitely Vera Cruz style and add an interesting dimension. I suppose you could add yellow and orange bell peppers.

5. jchenschel

jchenschel

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Last place I worked, we did a shrimp veracruz.  With black olives, avacado, tomato, cilantro, garlic, tequila.  Don't kno weather it's accurate or not, but it sure was good lol.

6. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    This is the Blackened Halibut Veracruz, I used the leftover Cioppino sauce and added Julienne peppers and onions, Black olives and capers. I didn't add the Jalapeno, I blackened the fish instead. The entree turned out real nice, full of flavor and a nice change..............ChefBillyB

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  7. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    since your wife hates raisins but you still want a bit of ying-yang going on, what about another dried fruit....figs or apricots or sun dried pears...also, manzanilla olives along with the kalamatas.

joey

8. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Chopped dates would also be a good replacement.

9. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hey Joey and Gunnar, thanks for responding. This dish always picks up the earthiness of the Mediterranean, it's easy to enter those ingredient's. I may be asking to much from this dish, I wanted to stay away from the salsa approach and keep it so it cooks in the tomato base fish/seafood broth. The Caribbean salsa would be easier to accomplish, but then again it would be a different dish altogether...................Thanks Bill

P.S. Gunnar is the Mod something new ?????????

10. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    yep...got asked about a week or two ago and accepted.

11. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Best of luck, you will do well...................