Fish Veracruz Question ???

Joined Feb 8, 2009
I make a Red Clam sauce using a Cioppino type sauce, steam the clams in the sauce and serve with spaghetti. This is a picture of the Spaghetti with Red Clam Sauce. I also use the leftover sauce to make a Fish Veracruz by adding peppers to spice this up a bit. I would like to get more offsetting color for the Veracruz sauce, any ideas????????????/  ChefBillyB

I made this last night at home, the plate is a bit messy, please forgive me I was hungry and the garlic bread was yelling at me to take it out of the oven.......................

Joined Feb 8, 2009
Hi Chef, I like the Capers and Olives and plan to add Jalapenos. What I was trying to do is get a bit more of a Caribbean look and taste into the dish. I have a spicy seafood favored red sauce with some heat from the Jalapenos peppers, saltiness from the capers and also the flavor of the olives that bring a Mediterranean look to the dish. My wife would kill me if I put raisins in the dish. The last time I made this I was in Mexico and I thought it needed a bit more color, making it look more Caribbean...Chefbillyb

Joined Aug 21, 2004
My wife hates raisins also, too bad as they are definitely Vera Cruz style and add an interesting dimension. I suppose you could add yellow and orange bell peppers.

Joined Mar 9, 2007
Last place I worked, we did a shrimp veracruz.  With black olives, avacado, tomato, cilantro, garlic, tequila.  Don't kno weather it's accurate or not, but it sure was good lol.

Joined Feb 8, 2009
This is the Blackened Halibut Veracruz, I used the leftover Cioppino sauce and added Julienne peppers and onions, Black olives and capers. I didn't add the Jalapeno, I blackened the fish instead. The entree turned out real nice, full of flavor and a nice change..............ChefBillyB

Last edited:
Joined Jul 30, 2007
since your wife hates raisins but you still want a bit of ying-yang going on, what about another dried fruit....figs or apricots or sun dried pears...also, manzanilla olives along with the kalamatas.

joey

Joined Apr 3, 2008
since your wife hates raisins but you still want a bit of ying-yang going on, what about another dried fruit....figs or apricots or sun dried pears...also, manzanilla olives along with the kalamatas.

joey
Chopped dates would also be a good replacement.

Joined Feb 8, 2009
Hey Joey and Gunnar, thanks for responding. This dish always picks up the earthiness of the Mediterranean, it's easy to enter those ingredient's. I may be asking to much from this dish, I wanted to stay away from the salsa approach and keep it so it cooks in the tomato base fish/seafood broth. The Caribbean salsa would be easier to accomplish, but then again it would be a different dish altogether...................Thanks Bill

P.S. Gunnar is the Mod something new ?????????

Joined Apr 3, 2008
Hey Joey and Gunnar, thanks for responding. This dish always picks up the earthiness of the Mediterranean, it's easy to enter those ingredient's. I may be asking to much from this dish, I wanted to stay away from the salsa approach and keep it so it cooks in the tomato base fish/seafood broth. The Caribbean salsa would be easier to accomplish, but then again it would be a different dish altogether...................Thanks Bill

yep...got asked about a week or two ago and accepted.

Joined Feb 8, 2009

yep...got asked about a week or two ago and accepted.
Best of luck, you will do well...................

Latest posts

Top Bottom