Fish/seafood fest

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by Woj, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Woj

Woj

Exp:
    Chef
    Hi,
    Im looking for some advice/ideas what to prepare for a banquet about 120-150 ppl.
    It’s a fish festival,3 course meal, two starters(which i have sorted) , main: i was thinking salmon/halibut/sole en croute ? and dessert: probably some sort of trio. I should mention that I would have to prepare hot main at the work and droop it off to the marquee where the function will take a place.As far as i know I should get some,hot cupboards,hot lights ect.
    What is your thoughts about it? Worth a try? Or maybe any other thoughts about main? (Different then Fish pies,fish stews etc)

Thanks for advice
    Woj

2. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Welcome to cheftalk. Have you catered before?

3. Woj

Woj

Exp:
    Chef
    Thanks,
    Yes,I did quite few weddings,functions etc before but this time its more about kichten/storage facilities.
    That was my first thought about it.Maybe someone else did something similar?

Thanks
    Woj

4. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    What is the hold time on entree?

flipflopgirl likes this.
  5. Woj

Woj

Exp:
    Chef
    6:30/7 arriving time, eating for 7:30.

6. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    What time will entree be completed at work?

7. Woj

Woj

Exp:
    Chef
    Sorry mate I don’t get it.
    Basically im looking for some tips what i can do for 150 ppl.
    Options are:
    -cook it at work place then deliver and serve
    or
    -do it it advance, and keep it warm in a hot cupboards until serve.

Thanks

8. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Some preparation methods hold up better to long hold times than others.

flipflopgirl likes this.
  9. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Welcome to ChefTalk.

Fish and or seafood is very difficult to cook and hold without compromising quality of product. That's why all the questions.
    "En Croute" in my opinion would be devastating if held in a warmer.

Best option for you would be to choose a product that would hold up as best it can....like salmon or perhaps a whitefish if available. Undercooking the product will help so that hold time will finish product.....Best of luck.

10. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    I know my fish but take the following with a grain of salt as I have no clue as to your kitchen or catering practices.
    Stay away from anything pastry....any moisture you would hope to retain in the fish will steam/soak into the shell leaving you with dry fillets and a soggy doughy mess.
    I am not big on partial cooking (leaving the protein to slide into home plate during the trip) but you might want to give it a trial run.
    If that works you will need to sauce with something as fish treated in that manner....essentially steaming...is not very pretty sitting naked on a plate.
    Happy trails...

mimi

11. Woj

Woj

Exp:
    Chef
    Thanks for reply,
    The good thing about it is that my work place is located very close to the venue. Other option will be cook it off and serve “straight away” .
    Thanks for coments anyway.
    Maybe i will find a dish which will work.

12. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    This is kind of Bullshit! You come in here asking a question that should have been asked when booking the banquet. The answer is, If you don't have a kitchen on site then you tell the client you can't do fish. The only way I would do this is Sous Vide. There aren't very many good ideas for holding fish and keeping it at a top quality for service. Someone needs to be the adult in the room when booking the party. If my client asks me to serve something that needs to be cooked on site. My answer is, I'll need to buy or rent equipment so I can cook that item on site. I will also have to add all this cost onto the bill. I tell my clients I'll do anything, it's just a matter of cost. Cheflayne, was asking all the questions you should have asked when booking the party. This isn't like holding a Prime Rib and hold it for 1 1/2 hours. Best of luck, I wouldn't have booked the party under these conditions..ChefBillyB

flipflopgirl and jimyra like this.
  13. Woj

Woj

Exp:
    Chef
    Aye aye captain,come down...
    First of all that was only enquiry for that kind of function so this is gonna be MY decision if im gonna do it or not.I know what other caterers offered last year and two years ago and i dont want to do same mistakes.
    For now I cannot see that im gonna go for it but thought i will drop a msg here where CHEFS are discussing different things.

(Btw. My kitchen is located 80yards from marque....but nevermind!)

Lets just finish this conversation,tanks for reply.

Regards
    Woj

14. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    If this info had been in the first post OP, it would have helped to alleviate some of the questions from those of us that don't like to just spout off answers. Some of us actually like to think our answers out and share from our hard earned experience, to possibly spare others from repeating mistakes we have made in the past,...but nevermind!

flipflopgirl and drirene like this.
  15. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Tea Rubbed Grilled Salmon rubbed with Earl Grey Tea, then grilled with a Pinot Noir Shallot Reduction Sauce

Pesto Salmon pan seared, then coated with Pesto, finished in a hot oven, with a Citrus Vermouth Sauce

Salmon dusted with Cracked Fennel, then grilled, with a Smoked Tomato and Leek Chutney

Salmon seasoned with a Green Tea Lemongrass Rub, pan seared and finished in a hot oven and topped with a toasted coconut sauce

Japanese Inspired Salmon a fresh filet, sautéed and topped with a Nori Emulsion, a dollop of Wasbi, and drizzled with White Miso Sauce

Portuguese Salmon sprinkled with cracked Cumin and Coriander, pan seared, then topped with diced Chourico, and Mussels, finished in a hot oven and drizzled with a Tomato Garlic Beurre Blanc and sprinkled with Green Onions and Parsley

drirene likes this.
  16. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Aye aye captain,come down and Mate ????? What the Hell are we on a Pirate Ship ????

If your Kitchen is 80 yards from the function then it's just like an on premiss catering. This whole post is about asking hypothetical questions. Come back when you have a real question......

17. toddhicks209

toddhicks209

Exp:
    amateur, food blogger
    Sounds like a good idea. I don't think it would hurt to experiment and offer that as a separate option.

18. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Great, now I want Portuguese salmon.