Fish markets?

Joined Feb 26, 2018
I live in Southern Cali and around here you have the typical large chain super markets like the usual ... Ralph, Albertsons, Stater Brothers ... and the likes. For whatever reasons, their seafood selections are for lack of a better works, are very and I mean very limited. They have the usual stuffs like Salmons, frozen cat fish, tilapia, and maybe some type of shell fish if you're lucky but beyond the very basic stuffs, they don't really any good stuffs. For example, if I need to buy fresh clams I am not sure any of the local supermarkets have them. But luckily we have a lot of asian markets around here which have all sorts of whatever fish you want ... fresh, pre-cut, live crabs (try to find it in any large chain markets), fresh clams. One thing I find puzzling is in asian market, they have a good selection of New England frozen mussels. Now these are domestic products and not something from the other side of the ocean so why on earth no typical supermarkets around here carry them. So let's say if there weren't any asian markets, where would one go buy fish?

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Better markets, like Whole Food or Gelsons, will have a better selection. Including fresh mussels, clams and oysters. A trip to the seaside will also yield a fresh selection.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
BTW, Asian markets tend to have a fantastic selection but sometimes a product moves from not-so-fresh to frozen. Be cautious.

Joined Feb 26, 2018
Better markets, like Whole Food or Gelsons, will have a better selection. Including fresh mussels, clams and oysters. A trip to the seaside will also yield a fresh selection.

Thank you for your advice. Next time I go to the beach, I'll stop by ... wait a minute ... I am too busy.

Joined Apr 11, 2018
Find out who supplies fresh seafood to the local restaurants and see if they'll sell direct to the consumer. Never hurts to ask.

About nine years ago I was in San Diego on a business trip. There was a local restaurant supplier who also sold a bit online called Catalina Offshore Products. The Wife wanted me to stop by and see if I could get some uni and ikura for her and save on shipping. I was skeptical of my chances and when I walked in they were totally unprepared for someone like me, I don't think they'd ever had a walk-in customer looking to grab-and-go before. It took a while but eventually one of their sales reps got off the phone and came out to take care of me. He was very friendly, gave me a tour of the facility, hooked me up with the good stuff.

Four years later I'm back in San Diego on vacation with the family, we stop by there again. And they had a thriving walk-in business, a cart full of orders ready for pickup. Along with uni we got some live spot prawns and oysters and back at the hotel I made amaebi and did some shucking.

Looking at them online now, they've got a full-blown local fishmarket including how-to demos. I don't know if my chance stop-in back then started the ball rolling or if I was some forgotten outlier and they were just following a larger trend, but it's nice to think I provided some inspiration...

Where I hail as home has a similar story, a business called Quality Seafood that started as a restaurant supplier then opened a direct to the public fish market and then a small oyster bar that expanded into a restaurant 3X the size of the original place, always a line. And though they've gotten plenty of my business, I in no way can take any credit for their success lol...

Top Bottom