Fish filleting knives 2017

Joined Mar 30, 2017
Intersted in putting down £100-200 on a nice longer filleting knife

In particular something with the length of the global g30 and g41 - also the profile is very appealing

I tend to fillet turbot from 5-8kg and sea bass, salmon and trout

I lean towards a boning knife when filleting turbot but the length of the blade is an issue - hence why the globals look good to me.

Is there something else out there - Japanese ideally with the same kind of profile or characteristics? 

Anyone know the difference between the G30 and G41 - is it a flexibility and build difference? Do I want all that flex from the g30? I have flexible knifes for skinning and I'm sure at a push the G41 is flexible enough to skin fillet too? I don't want something that wobbles when going through tougher skin...

Thanks in advance!

Ben

Joined Oct 29, 2016
Ben,
I have the g30 and I love it. But I am a sucker for global. It is crazy flexible, but I can also cut through a beef shoulder so no worries about the wobble. I believe the biggest bonus of the globals is the weight and balance, I prefer that style of knife so it fits well in my hand. I believe g41 is a more rigid boning knife but that is all I know on it. Good luck on your search!

Joined Mar 30, 2017
Ok thanks :) the more I think about it the more I reckon I will want flex more often than not - getting the slim blade in difficult to reach areas is one part of the battle - generating enough pressure and accuracy will come from flexing the blade - so perhaps the g30 is the way forward - I want the blade to hold nice long true straight lines and as mentioned before not wobble if I have to apply a bit of pressure...

Joined Mar 15, 2017
For a longer blade filleting knife I used a Wusthof classic 20cm whilst I worked in a fish mongers for a few months. It has fantastic balance as with all the 'classic' range which is needed with a longer blade. As with all Wusthof knives it takes an edge very well from pretty fine grade stone.

To be honest though since working in a kitchen I have returned to the Victorinox Rosewood 6 inch filleting knife for breaking down fish. We work with whole Sea Bream to Wild Sea Trout in terms of size and plenty of flatties as well, more often Brill than Turbot though.

For breaking fish down from scratch I find that Victorinox Rosewood excellent for most tasks at a fraction of the price others pay for inferior knives.

If you are looking for a longer blade with lots of flex I'd also advise that you try using the Victorinox Fibrox 20cm narrow bladed fillet knife. It's an extremely flexible blade that still offers a lot of control, the thicker handle and slight bolster are very comfortable to work with too. The Fibrox handle puts some off as they are entry level knives for so many new cooks but they are so popular for a reason!

Joined Mar 30, 2017
 I own the vic 20cm - its a great blade and versatile - I dislike the thickness and profile when cutting in on tricky areas - I used to use a wusthof classic 6inch where I had reprofiled it to almost the same spec as the Swedish filleter - it made light work of the big fish but left tracking marks on the fillet - I then managed to dent it with my cleaver - so its now my bone scraper. Think the g30 will do the job looks like it will swivel and flex into the right areas as well as holding form on longer strokes...

Top Bottom