First time being fired.

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by chef0069, Jan 2, 2015.

1. chef0069

chef0069

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Finished the season in the private club I have been the chef of for the past twenty years last night, went in today to clean and close the kitchen, and was told I am being let go, new manager, he wants a fresh new chef. I'm 54, never got fired before, kind of nervous, I need to work, definitely not financially secure. What a business! Never missed a day of work for the past twelve years, and only had one year before that with a sick day. They weren't even going to tell me today, it wasn't convenient for the Board president, he wanted me to come back tomorrow to tell me. Thanks for listening, just venting, not sure what I'm feeling.

2. archbow

archbow

Exp:
    Head Chef
    That sucks friend. I really hope that you can apply your skills in another kitchen soon, it's a damn shame that they are just willing to give the boot to someone who has been dedicated to their employer for so long. Possibly look into instructing at a local school if the thought of mixing into another commercial kitchen seems too daunting, or if you just want to get back into the mix there's plenty if kitchens who will take the experience

3. fablesable

fablesable

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Oh wow mate....that is a tad bit harsh! Don't really know what else to say to that but I am putting forth the good vibes for you to find a wonderful job that appreciates your talent. 

4. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    Wow. That really sucks. I'm sure you have all our sympathies. That's very shabby treatment. Remain professional though. Vent here and at home. Keep your cool when dealing with the club. You never know how these things will work out.

You may have to make a few phone calls but I'll be surprised if you don't find another job very soon. 

5. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Ditto this. I was let go from a job 10 years ago at about your present age. At first it was crushing and demoralizing, but a few months later it turned into a blessing because I suddenly found myself in the Caribbean working and living the dream. Whoot!

6. chef0069

chef0069

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Cool, now how do I tell the wife I'm off to the Islands? lol. Thanks for all the good words here.

7. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Your experience is a plus, your age is a negative. Sign up with employment agencies, check out local chefs organizations. Consider teaching, that's what I did. Don't let it get you down, everything happens for the best is the attitude you should adhere to. Goods Luck.  Which club on Long Island?

8. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    Chefedb- I think your first statement may require its' own thread. I have found this to be true and don't really get it. No one can have experience without getting older and being a chef requires many years of accumulated knowledge about many areas and a certain level of maturity to handle the responsibility. 

9. hproctor

hproctor

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Sorry to hear this happened, had a similar experience in my career once. I felt crushed at first, I had left a great job at a resort to take the exec position. I went on to better things, but I would say this is an excellent time to decide where You are going to take your future. If you look at other companies, think about what you want first before you take something in a hurry. This is an opportunity in disguise if you allow yourself to see things that way. Dont let the crappy actions of others make you bitter, there are a lot of opportunities and now your challenge is to find them. Think outside the box, the landscape has changed considerably since you took that position. Another city might be calling to you as well, LA always needs Chefs.

10. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Unfortunately many places (especially corporate America) want the young cooks because they're more likely to be able to take the rigors or kitchen work and cost less.

But in reality, it is those younger employees that end up costing the company MORE money in the long run.

Things like portion control, waste, over preparing, hygiene, and the like take an understanding that only experience can teach.

I could never understand that either.

Some older Chefs can do the work of three or four.

11. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    :(  It's a country club, and a lot of times that's the way it happens.  Give the old GM a call.  Have a beer or three.  :)

12. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    You got that right Chef.!

13. chef0069

chef0069

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Believe me, I know it's how Country clubs work, it's something club chefs worry about, perception of people and work in clubs can change on a dime, one member talks, tells another, stories get spread, rumors, etc. Managers and chefs are always a few disgruntled members away from being out of a job.

It's just so weird, 20 years was a long time, thinking about work consumed so much of my time, it's tough not thinking about it. I have to figure out what I want to do, I really don't know. Thanks for the input, talkin about it helps a lot.

kuan likes this.
  14. phaedrus

phaedrus

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Man, sorry to hear that.  It really sucks!  It's a shame to see how little loyalty is valued by some.  Still you have a ton of experience; once you decide what you want to do you'll land on your feet.

chef0069 likes this.
  15. michaelga

michaelga

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Make sure you know you're rights and benefits.  Severance pay, employment insurance and any packages for ex-employees.   Don't be rude but insist on your dues!

Here's one that might cheer ya up!

One place let me go for similar reasons but race not age... unprovable of course but little did they realize that I'd get a year free membership as part of my severance after 5 years.  

I immediately booked a T-Time right after every Sunday brunch when the management and Chef / Sous would do a round of golf and talk shop. 

Honestly I busted my ass just so I could make that T-Time, only so I could wave and be all nice-nice right in their faces, always mentioning what a pleasure it had been working for them etc. etc. BS.

I'd offer to buy them a beer... they were on the clock so couldn't accept, ask how things where going? still holding the same bottom % and all sorts of annoying shop talk and numbers.

It drove them absolutely bonkers. 

After a few months they stopped the golf round discussion and took it to a board room.  

A small victory, considering when my year membership lapsed I had nowhere near enough money to renew it.

At least I had fun messing around with them.

kuan likes this.
  16. geno

geno

Exp:
    Beverage Expert
    with 20 years and a good work record I would seriously go find a lawyer from a near by big city.  The first question you should ask him or her is if they are a member of the CC.   I expect you are owed some compensation.

17. chef0069

chef0069

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thanks, I did receive a few months severance, and they have offered the services of a "resume" writer, ie. "expert". I need to find something that provides health care for my wife and 2 kids, that's my biggest worry, that and the cost of living on Long Island keeps getting worse, lots to think about, again, I appreciate the shoulder to lean on! I was in a lousy mood, and didn't want to open my mouth and say things I regretted at the time, so I refused the resume guy.

18. fablesable

fablesable

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    @chef0069  I am more than happy to provide free resume and cover writing services to you when you are ready! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

19. chefwd

chefwd

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Sorry to hear that... been there. I would disagree with the age, as Chef's are a unique bunch. There are plenty of places that I know that will only hire more mature chefs, rather than hassle with a young one... I applied to a place a few years ago that told me I didn't have enough time in the business, and I have been around for over 25 years...

Best of luck... if you need any advice or just want to chat, I'm around. Where are you at, I have connections all over, so might be able to help out at least getting some information on places that are hiring. Not sure if you are willing to move or not, just let me know

20. chef0069

chef0069

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thanks, I might take you up on that.