First restaurant job

Joined Oct 24, 2021
I just made my first step into restaurant work in September; I started working at a Korean restaurant doing production work (making sauces and marinade mixes as well as prepping meat and produce for our other restaurants to use); the owner of the restaurant has three shops altogether, but this first one has the largest and best- outfitted kitchen. However, I was sent to my current workplace (my contract is with the owner himself, so they could theoretically send me to any of the three shops at any time) at the beginning of October. This place is a Korean Fried Chicken/ burger joint that serves fried chicken, burgers and various Korean "bowls" (bibimbap, etc.). When I first made contact with my boss there (who is one of the only trained cooks in the shop), he told me that after a week of working with him, I'd be expected to be able to run the line. This would entail managing orders, working the bowl station, and running the fryers. In addition to those two stations, there is also the burger/ grill station, the dish pit, and chicken prep.Especially having never worked restaurants before, I find myself having a lot of trouble with keeping up with the online orders (we are connected with Lieferando, Uber Eats, and Wolt). Are my boss's expectations normal for a place like this?

On a separate note: How long would it be good to stay before I make a decision about staying on or not? I don't want to stay in what's basically fast food forever, but I also don't want to just jump ship before I get what experience I can.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
I’m smiling while reading your intro. Welcome and congratulations on tour job. I started in a place very similar. I learned a lot and those lessons kept me going until I eventually retired. First lesson I learned is that there is no task beneath my dignity; if a dirty job had to be done it may as well be me doing it. Second lesson was to be near and orderly… including making sure that all bills in the till faced the same direction. Stay as long as the job suits your needs. I stayed 4 years at first job (fast food service) and 3 years at next (fast food service and the district prep kitchen). I loved those jobs but opted for a totally different career field. Be the best you can be, learn as much as you can, and when you feel the need to move in then you’ll know when is the right time. Be well!

Joined Aug 22, 2021
Having just one person running the line (managing orders, working the bowl station, and running the fryers) is abusive, as the work orders from Lieferando, Uber Eats, and Wolt will swamp you at midday and 7pm.

The only way you could do this job is if it was just one place that wasn't terribly popular. The fact he has three shops, tells me it's very popular.

I'd keep looking and bail at the first chance. I bet this owner doesn't even pay terribly well.

Joined Oct 24, 2021
Having just one person running the line (managing orders, working the bowl station, and running the fryers) is abusive, as the work orders from Lieferando, Uber Eats, and Wolt will swamp you at midday and 7pm.

The only way you could do this job is if it was just one place that wasn't terribly popular. The fact he has three shops, tells me it's very popular.

I'd keep looking and bail at the first chance. I bet this owner doesn't even pay terribly well.
You would be correct on that last point... I'm currently pulling 9.50EUR an hour... most of the advertised positions I see in Berlin start at 10 or 11

Top Bottom