First of the year Hood Strawberries from Oregon.

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by chefbuba, Jun 13, 2017.

1. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Perfectly ripe, picked this morning. Tastes like a strawberry should. $17 half flat but worth every bit.

2. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    They look great. How much is that per pound? the farms here just started announcing their pick your own are ready so I'll be heading out in a day or two. (Who am I kidding. I'll probably go tomorrow.) 

3. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I am continuously devastated by the taste of fruit and vegetables. I feel like they are trying to make us as a society forget what real food tastes like. Soon enough the flavor of real strawberries will be as real as dragons.

These look great.

4. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    Koukouvagia,

Certainly you know of all the farms and orchards here in NY state. The Hudson Valley all along the Hudson River and beyond is loaded with pick your own places. Click on www.pick-your-own.org and you'll get maps of each county and links to many of the farm websites. Of course, as you travel to those listed, you'll pass many others who aren't.  Local supermarkets have also begun selling local produce from certain farmers when in season. 

Of course, if you don't have the time to leave the city, the Greenmarket in Union Square sells produce from some of the same farms. 

And if you decide to pick your own, you save quite a bit of money and get the chance for a road trip to do a bit of sightseeing and visit an antique store or four if you enjoy that.

At least for the spring to fall seasons in New York, there's no reason to eat bland supermarket produce.

5. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Oh I know, we try to get upstate form time to time but honestly it can be quite difficult because hubby and I are on opposite working schedules - he works during the day on weekdays and is off on weekends, and I work weeknights and all through the weekends. I get to union square when I can and we even have a small farmers market that comes to our neighborhood on Saturdays during the summer.  Usually the stuff is pretty good but there are times I think that the vegetables/fruits can be bland even then.