First knifes

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by Pandaven123, Nov 5, 2017.

1. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Ahaha, just an example.

2. Pandaven123

Pandaven123

Exp:
    none
    Okaay, if i could ask you a favor then.
    maybe pick one from this site https://foodgear.dk/ . i know it's in danish, but if you press "køkkenknive" in the top. then you get all the products that they sell, now 1000kr is about 140 euros.
    Because i was wondering how i could order form the internet, since most of the specialized forums (on almost everything) is always from the great USA. So often i can't order what people recommend.

3. Pandaven123

Pandaven123

Exp:
    none
    Okay so 155 dollars is 1000 dkk. So that you can see the pricerange. you should know that in denmark there is a tax on 25% on everything, so products will be a bit more exspensive then in USA sadly.
    i'm look for maybe a 350 dollar knive, that's about the limit.

4. benuser

benuser

Exp:
    Home Cook
    rick alan and Pandaven123 like this.
  5. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Excellent advice, and you will still find this rugged performer indispensable when you upgrade to the next level.

benuser likes this.
  6. galley swiller

galley swiller

Exp:
    At home cook
    I have a MAC HB-85 and I can attest to its quality. Same steel (MAC "Original" steel) as most of the MAC "Mighty" Professional knives, just without a sintered bolster. The knife is 2.0mm thick, and is not as "whippy" as you might first guess from that thickness.

You won't regret it.

GS

benuser likes this.
  7. dave kinogie

dave kinogie

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Shun Premier's are great looking knives and solid performers, but way overpriced imho and myself personally, I don't like all that belly.

I've owned a Shun Classic, my good friend has a premier and I many years ago gifted 2 different Shun Edo's which I have used a decent amount. I've found in my personal experience that they are a bit of a PITA to sharpen to a standard I prefer.

Idk if I'd personally say Chevy quality for Benz money, but I do believe you're paying more for the aesthetics and the name, then the functionality and performance for sure. You can get much better knives, which are easier to bring back to life on the stones for less money, let alone the same money, then a Shun, especially the Premiers. But I don't believe they're actually bad knives.

8. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    How about Volvo money for a VW? ;-)~

Big belly, high tip, way too thick at the edge, steel whose allure wore off long ago, as you intimated the numbers speak for themselves, not something to spend $150 on (typical selling price) for an 8" chefs. Especially when you can still get a Tojiro DP for less than half that.

dave kinogie likes this.
  9. iceman

iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Well ...

Is Shun going out of business? People seem to keep buying their products. French style ... German ... Japanese ... different strokes for different folks. Everyone spends their own money. Everyone gets to feel however they want to feel ... this, I don't believe, should necessarily be influenced by anyone else's opinion. My go-to knife, as I've said numerous times ad nauseam ... is a 1974 vintage Chicago Cutlery. (viewable in my "Dish of the Month" post). I'm very happy with it. Who is to challenge me on my own opinion? Everyone knows my cockyness in the skills department. Capitalism ... You charge what the market will bare ... until you go out of business.

The last M-Benz I had was disgustingly expensive to repair. I've also bought a couple-3 used Volvos for cheap Chevy money. The one that got stolen was a '68 P1800. WOW ... that was a cool car.

brianshaw likes this.
  10. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    So all that aside, Pandaven are you any closer to making a decision?

11. DavyDevaux

DavyDevaux

Exp:
    not sure what this means
    That is funny my first knife was also a shun, then later I kind of also regretted it.

12. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    That does seem to be the consensus of 99.9%+ of Shun buyers who later find a knife forum or other reliable source of information.

13. scott livesey

scott livesey

Exp:
    At home cook
    you need to check local laws on mail order knives. as far what knife, go to a kitchen supply store and see what they have, touch and feel. this is from the UPS website about shipping to Denmark:
    Knives
    Knives with blades 6.0 cm (2.4 in.) or longer require permission from the police. Single handed operated knives are prohibited by law and illegal to import.

14. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    There are quite a number of merchants, like Knives + Stones, who have had no problems shipping all over the world.