First knifes

Joined Nov 5, 2017
Hello everyone.

Let's make this quick and easy, yet informative (so i don't waste too much of your time)

I've already read a ton of stuff about knifes (sadly after i made a purchase). I bought the shun premier knifes et. Now the more i read, the more it seems like i made a bad purchase.
I'm still able to return the product until a week from now.
I'm from Denmark, i really don't know what i prefer, because i've only ever delt with low quality knifes.

To make you help me i will inform you why i bought them.
Here is what i like about the shun premier.
The handle.
The way the look.
The fact that (what the seller told me) they only need to be sharpend maybe every 8 month or so.

What i'm unsure about.
The fact that they might spliter.
The fact that he might have sold me a product that don't live up to the price.

So my question to the experts in here are.
Return them or not?
And what should i buy in i choose to return them.

Thank you in advance.

Joined Nov 5, 2017
Okay. I'm happy for your advice.
I'm following this thread https://cheftalk.com/threads/chefs-knife-recommendations-for-a-hobby-chef.95278/.
Of a person who is a bit better in english then me, but i actually feel the same as him. Except for the fact that i have litterly no experience. I just wanted to start of with something that would last me a life time, and be sharp at the same time. I always go for quality over quantity.
But after reading all about shun here, i feel like the qulity is not with the product. And i'm even unsure if i should go for high end in the beggning or just go for a "beater" knife to begin with, because i have zero exsperience.

Joined Nov 15, 2012
I believe you indicated you bought a knife "set," which right away says most of the purchase price was for stuff you don't need anyway.

Joined Nov 5, 2017
Now i've actually been to the shop, and tried different types. And i felt like this one, had the best grip and design, but then again, i care more about the product then the looks.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
For a differing perspective... I have those two knives and find them quite useful in the home kitchen. I have no complaints or regrets about buying and using them over the past 5 or so years.

Joined Nov 5, 2017
Thank you.
Do you think i should just start with a beater knife to learn, or should i go for something highclass already ?

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Thank you.
Do you think i should just start with a beater knife to learn, or should i go for something highclass already ?
If you are asking me, you need to know that I’m a minority in this forum. I find the Shun to be quite high quality, expensive, but worth the money. Unlike some critics I own and use 6 of them... and have so for quite a while. I’m very happy with them. Only had one problem and that’s when I dropped one. It chipped and tip bent and had to be repaired. Other than that I have no issues. Sure, one can buy less expensive and get something that will work, maybe better and maybe not. But here’s my philosophy: I drive a Mercedes because I like it better than a Chevy... better quality, Better stylin, better fit-and-finish, and yes it strokes my ego... but both would get me to work. It’s up to you and you should use your own judgement rather than blindly following internet postings. Use them for information but think for yourself... only you know your needs and desires!

Ask yourself this: is the Shun not doing something you expect or are you just “freaked out” and having buyers regret because of internet chatter? If it’s the former I’d suggest returning it and figuring out what will meet your needs; if the latter, I would have no regrets about keeping the Shuns if I were you.

It’s up to yo, ultimately.

Last edited:
Joined Nov 15, 2012
The question, of course, is why spend Mercedes prices for a Chevy? Mass Majority Opinion, free of cognitive dissonance.

Do you need a beater knife - haven't you already had a bunch of those?

Do you cut without twisting your knife on the board? Do you have a good cutting board? Can you control your force?

And then of course there is sharpening.

Maybe practicing all of these with the knives you have is the thing to do before buying any more knives.

Joined Nov 5, 2017
Both of you make perfect sense, and in a way i never felt more confused about how i feel, just like cognitive dissonance.

As i said, i've never had any knifes myself, i live at home, but i'm about to move out from my parents. Only ever had the shitties of the shittes knives, and some beat up plastic cutting boards.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Unfortunately you should feel confused. Rick and I have different experiences and different opinions, especially about Shun.

I speak as a daily user of The two Shun knives you now have. Whether better knives, or better value, can be had or not... those two knives are my go-to knives.

I speak only of my experience and cast no judgement or doubt on other opinions... other than to state that some opinions keep getting repeated by non-users or folks who describe problems they have “heard about” or can’t show pictures of for whatever reason.

I wish life was easier for you with regard to knife opinions but knife users have differing needs and tend to be both parochial about their beliefs and somewhat absolute.

You really need to decide if you want to return then and go shopping all over again. Flip a coin if you must...

Sometimes too much information is a handicap. We call it “analysis paralysis”. :)

Last edited:
Joined Dec 18, 2010
if this helps, I think the factor you can assess the easiest is regarding the blade profile. Are you comfortable with the German profile of the Shun or not. I use knives with German, French, and Asian profiles and, frankly, don’t seem to have problem or preference either way.

Joined Nov 15, 2012
Pandaven, I wasn't implying cognitive dissonance on your part, Brian, as he intimated, is an islands unto himself. The facts of the matter have been thoroughly discussed, over many posts, and may forums, and by those with real knife knowledge. Myself, Benuser and many many others have all used Shun knives, and lots of others to compare them too. So let's put accusations of mere speculation to rest, shall we?

You've been given what you need to go on. Anyways I think you know better now than to pay a Mercedes for a Chevy.

Last edited:
Joined Nov 5, 2017
Okaay, if i could ask you a favor then.
maybe pick one from this site https://foodgear.dk/ . i know it's in danish, but if you press "køkkenknive" in the top. then you get all the products that they sell, now 1000kr is about 140 euros.
Because i was wondering how i could order form the internet, since most of the specialized forums (on almost everything) is always from the great USA. So often i can't order what people recommend.

Joined Nov 5, 2017
Okay so 155 dollars is 1000 dkk. So that you can see the pricerange. you should know that in denmark there is a tax on 25% on everything, so products will be a bit more exspensive then in USA sadly.
i'm look for maybe a 350 dollar knive, that's about the limit.

Top Bottom