First job as a Chef. Advices?

Joined Apr 27, 2021
Hello.

I have accepted an offer in a big burger house as a chef and expected to work on the grill and the BBQ. Both in the preparations and cooking.

I only worked as a cook before for a few years, and I am not qualified. However, I am very hard working and focused person, as this is a huge plus in a kitchen with managing the stress and keeping up the pace. I believe that was the reason why they hired me.

I have never worked as a grill chef before.

What would you advise?

Thanks!

Joined Mar 1, 2017
Actually, long sleeves when working on the grill is not a good idea. Instead, I would recommend a good heat resistant sleeve such as this: https://www.webstaurantstore.com/18-terry-cloth-heat-resistant-sleeve/1673258.html

What I would advise is simple. Pay attention. Write things down. If they know you don't have experience with the grill, they're probably not going to just throw you in without someone showing you the ropes.

Cooking burgers and BBQ is not brain science. After a short while, you'll get the hang of what the various cook temps look like with the burgers and you're bound to mess up a few. It happens. Just make sure you learn from it and don't repeat the mistake. If you're unsure of something, ask.

Otherwise, learn your grill in terms of where the cold and hot spots are. Learn your prep and everything should work out just fine.

Good luck. :)

Joined Mar 1, 2017
Reminder to self; nuanced comedy is often misunderstood.
Im not sure where the "nuanced comedy" was in that statement?

Maybe next time, an "lol" emoji or better yet, say something that's actually funny? :) <-- notice the "lol" emoji? :) <--- see? There it is again.

Cheers!

Joined Mar 1, 2017
Using an emoji or an lol doesn't always convey what a person was referring to, as in your reply where it was to convey an insult rather than to be funny. Maybe if I said dry humor instead it wouldn't have stirred your emotional response, but maybe not.
If you're the "retired" professional who wrote this statement:

"I never had a problem hiring cooks that moved around a lot. It happens frequently. Competence and fitting in was my priority, now retired, and the reason why it was mandatory to work a few days before hiring anyone. Some stayed some didn't but I knew what skillsets they brought. If you have the skillset to work in finer dinning kitchens it will become quickly apparent to any chef, maybe you need to look within and muster up some confidence and bang on a few doors....that always worked for me when I was first starting out. Cheers and good luck."

Then, I shouldn't have to explain to you how irresponsible it is, in jest or not, to suggest to someone to wear long sleeves while operating a grill in a professional kitchen. There are people out there, especially young, inexperienced cooks, who could read your comment and quite possibly take your advice seriously given your stated experience.

If you wander through my 1,200+ comments in this forum, you will see that I use the :) emoji only when I'm being friendly. With that information in mind, go back through and re-read my comment from the vantage point that I was being friendly, not sarcastic.

Cheers.

Top Bottom