First Japanese Knife

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by wgraff, Nov 2, 2016.

1. wgraff

wgraff

Exp:
    At home cook
    I like fine tools of all varieties.

I my shop, my woodworking tools are shaving sharp.

Although I am 2nd fiddle to my wife in the kitchen, I keep my modest knife collection sharp for my wife's skilled use.

Visiting a friend recently, we got to use an 8in shun classic.

It was not well cared for but still cut more easily than the Henkel's 8in chef also on hand. It also felt awkward to use and short.

I would like to get my wife a gyuto for X-mas.

After reading some posts here (BDL especially), I'm considering the 240 mm Masamoto VG or the Mac Pro as our first Japanese knife.

BDL: "fantastic profile, natural, comfortable feel, spectacular everything else, etc.... appeals to me.

I lean away from the carbon steel blades because of the staining.

Clad knives have been described as "dead feeling".

I'm open to handle styles, but lean towards yo, non-slippery when wet.

Finally, I would like to spend <$250.

I welcome everyone's considered opinions.

2. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hi wgraff, welcome to Cheftalk.  First understandthat BDL (no longer around here) is probably much more sensitive to how a knife "feels" than the average person.  It is true that soft claddings will provide a dampening effect, some specialty knives like Yanagiba and Usuba intentionally take advantage of this to help protect their very steep and keen and subsequently fragil edges.  But most will never notice this effect, nor care even if they do.

The word is that Masamoto is riding on its rep these days and the quality is no longer comensurate with the price.

The MAC is still a MAC though I believe.  And there are better cutters out there for the price, though perhaps not as rugged as the MAC, if you are interested.

Also if you can tell us where you live, so we know what suppliers you might want to stick with.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  3. foody518

foody518

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Does your Shun feel 'dead' compared to your Henckels? 

Also, try to assess what your typical preferred cutting motions are. People like different profiles because they have different preferences. Definitely try to understand if it is appropriate to adopt another's preferences as yours

4. wgraff

wgraff

Exp:
    At home cook
    So California

5. wgraff

wgraff

Exp:
    At home cook
    Cutting motions as in push cut, pull cut and chop?

6. foody518

foody518

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    As in near LA? Check out Japanese Knife Imports and Yoshihiro Cutlery

millionsknives likes this.