First growth

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Ok.....Here we go.
In 1855 four wines were classified as first growths in Bordeaux. Then in 1973 a fifth was added to the list. What were the first
four? And then witch joined them in 1973?

Joined Jan 11, 2000
Alrighty, wine trivia challenge!

Joined Jul 31, 2000
I quess no one wants to field this one.
In 1855 the first four wines were classified as first growths.
they were
1)Ch Lafite rothschild from paulliac
2)Ch margaux from margaux
3)Ch Latour from paulliac
4)Ch Haut Brion from Graves
Then in 1973 after 100 years Ch Mouton-Rothschild from paulliac was honered with the first growth classification. These are the only first growths in france. just a note though.there are wines like Chevel-blanc.Ausone,petrus that are on the same teer as the first growths but there areas of bordeaux do not classify the same way

Joined Aug 8, 2000
See, I don't feel very conversant in wine which is very embarrassing considering how long I've been cooking! So, I wish I could answer, but I cannot. I will happily read and learn, tho'. So thanks, cape chef.

I just know when I like a wine!

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Cookm,
never feel embaressed about the world of wine. If people are to heavy about wine,then they do not really understand how important it is just to experiment with all different styles of wine, there is no shame in learing and only growth and confidence will prevail, to all thoughts who only care about the P.H. in the soil you are in the wrong place

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Yep, what he said! Life is a learning process.....I've had the first growths and actually prefer some of the other wines to them. Margaux is my favorite 1st growth. Grange Grunge 1976 is pretty darn good too....like a truffle it changes flavor and the after tastes go on and on and on. There are so many to try....I do blind tastings with my friends so they don't know the $9.99 ones from the $150 ones....it's funny to see what you really like when you can't see the label.
The bigger older reds are wonderful, but I've had several that have been flat, held too long and the vibrancy is gone. Sad to see a great wine decline, even sadder to know it would have been wonderful 5 years ago.

Joined Aug 8, 2000
Cape Chef and Shroomgirl, thank you for your kind replies. I'll keep on reading, learning, and especially tasting!

Joined Jan 15, 2000
To your question, missyk1999, they're the same in spirit, I think ....

First growth is a vineyard classification in Bordeaux, France, while Premier Cru and Grand Cru are vineyard designations in Burgundy, France. It's all about the plot of land.

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Hi Missy.
I know some times things can be confusing.
Depending on what part of france you produce wine will dictate the classification.
1) Grad cru means " great growth" in burgundy Grand gru is the top ranking a vinyard can recieve. It is only givin to a limited # of vinyards in the COTE D'OR and CHABLIS.The ranking just below grand cru is PREMIER CRU.In Bordeaux the designation grand gru(verses Grand cru classe) is givin to some chateaus. Like in Saint Emilion.
2) Grand cru classe (great classed growth)is the second highest ranking for the wines in Saint emilion
3) Premier cru means first growth. In bordeaux medoc and sauternes Premier cru is the highest catogory of cru classe. wines that have been givin this ranking may put Premier grand cru classe. and only lafite,latour,margaux and haut brion carried this distinction from 1855 to 1973 until mouton was added.There less confused??
I hope so

Top Bottom