First food trailer event have a few questions on portions!

Joined Jan 22, 2018
Hey everyone i'm cooking at a bloody mary festival this weekend in my food trailer and this is the first bigger event ive done, 300-350 ppl and iam the ONLY food vendor! Of course not everyone will eat. My menu is as following, sliders (2oz patty) loaded fries, fried dill pickle spears, grilled cheese.

I was hoping I can get some opinions on how much of each i should have on hand, for beef i was thinking around 65lbs and around 120lbs of fries, overboard or on the money? Also the dill pickle spears supposedly have 26 servings per case.. I would love to leave there with little waste, thanks in advance everyone!

Joined Oct 31, 2012
By my quick calculations, you have enough meat for 260 orders of 2 sliders per customer and 160 orders of French Fries based on 12 oz of raw potato for a 7 oz serving. If frozen fries, about 270 orders of fries with a 7oz serving.
That seems pretty close but depends on location. Any restaurants/deli/anything nearby that serves any kind of food or are you literally the only food source? Also the unexpected arrivals, festival workers, security personnel if any. Is the expected number of guests based on past years attendance or is this the first year?
I think I'd up it a little to be closer to 300. Of course running out later in the day is an option but probably better not to.
Don't forget the condiments and paper products.

Joined Jan 22, 2018
Hey chef yea there are ALOT of restaurants near the event as it's at our zoo which is downtown. The tickets are actually pre-registered so 300-350 guests is pretty accurate. Also yes the fries are frozen. Also I was thinking 200ish orders of grilled cheese. Maybe 180-200 orders of the pickle spear fries.

Joined Jan 22, 2018
By my quick calculations, you have enough meat for 260 orders of 2 sliders per customer and 160 orders of French Fries based on 12 oz of raw potato for a 7 oz serving. If frozen fries, about 270 orders of fries with a 7oz serving.
That seems pretty close but depends on location. Any restaurants/deli/anything nearby that serves any kind of food or are you literally the only food source? Also the unexpected arrivals, festival workers, security personnel if any. Is the expected number of guests based on past years attendance or is this the first year?
I think I'd up it a little to be closer to 300. Of course running out later in the day is an option but probably better not to.
Also the event is 11-2pm if that helps!

Joined Jan 22, 2018
The food truck professionals on another forum (reddit) are telling me I should plan for 150-175

Joined Mar 1, 2017
I think you're on the money with the food. Just make sure you have all the paper products, utensils and at least 1 good person to assist who knows what they're doing. You should do very well.

Let us know how it turns out.

Good luck! :)

Joined Feb 8, 2009
It also depends on the time of the event. If it's from 11AM to 2PM or 4 PM to 7Pm you may expect more people eating. If it's from 1PM to 4PM it could be less......That being said, I would go with 40% of the crowd.

Joined Oct 31, 2012
Knowing the event details is a big help. I'd go with what the other food truck guys say. So 150-175 sounds more realistic with all the other options for potential customers. I tend to over react in these situations. My instinct is to have enough for 200-225 on hand so less than that would probably be pretty close.
. I suspect many might grab a bite before entering the event or just after and some just don't like sliders so you won't be feeding all 300. Ending at 2 is also a plus as you don't have to go all day. I like the grilled cheese option. That's good alternate choice. My only suggestion for that would be to use some thicker French Toast bread so it looks more substantial than standard sliced white.
By all means have someone else to help. That will make things so much easier.

Your question reminded me of the ReedPoint Montana sheep drive. A friend of mine is a Montana native and told me about how they got started. There's. also a documentary about it I think is on YouTube.
Reedpoint was/is a tiny little one street town with a post office, bar and store and not much else. Everyone knows everyone. So one night some of the locals are hanging out in the bar discussing a big happening taking place soon in a different place. I can't remember what the event was but they were feeling kind of left out and thought "Why don't we have our own event and have a sheep drive?" We can borrow Sven Svensons' sheep and run them down Main Street."
So someone agreed to get some hot dogs. Someone else agreed to put up the beer and soda. They picked a date and time, got it all arranged and let the local press know so the neighbors could all be there. This is before the invention of the internet so the local press was pretty much one or two small publications. Not really a big deal. Just a bunch of bored locals looking to have a bit of fun.
On the morning of the event, they all woke up to find 12,000 people arriving. Apparently the news hit the wire service and went all over the country. People were parking for miles down the highway. They ended up running the sheep down the main road twice that day so more people could see it.
It proved to be such a success they have done it every year since and as far as I know are still doing it although I'm sure they offer more than just a hotdog and soda now.

Joined Jan 22, 2018
I think you're on the money with the food. Just make sure you have all the paper products, utensils and at least 1 good person to assist who knows what they're doing. You should do very well.

Let us know how it turns out.

Good luck! :)
Thanks!

Joined Jan 22, 2018
It also depends on the time of the event. If it's from 11AM to 2PM or 4 PM to 7Pm you may expect more people eating. If it's from 1PM to 4PM it could be less......That being said, I would go with 40% of the crowd.
Thanks for the reply it's 11-2pm

Joined Dec 13, 2018
Are you doing Bloody Mary's with the sliders, pickle spears, etc? If I know anything about Bloody Mary's, it's that people like to buy the most over the top one's they can find.

Top Bottom