First Day on the Line

Joined Feb 11, 2010
Greetings:

Part of my college degree was spent studying RHIM.

I have had front and back of the house jobs. Usually the intro stuff you do in college . . . low man on the totum pole. The most cooking experience I have . . . outside of culinary classes that are essentially recipe marithons. I worked as a cook to order breakfast cook in a small hotel. Usually with a kitchen staff of 3 people.

What I am lacking is a frame of reference for the really high end high staff line. And I am starting as the lowest man on the line tomorrow in a high staff higher profile establishment. I lack knowledge of the structural hierarchy and such. And what is a really common beginners mistake in that setting?

I have some legitimate qualifications on my resume and schooling. But I don't think there is any way to get around the fact that I will probably have a big ROOKIE written on my forehead.

Anything I can do to get some extra brownie points?

It is Greek cuisine. With a sizeable staff and decent reputation.

I have never been in a crunch kitchen. And really have not been properly taught the hierarchal structure of a formal and more professional line.

I am not worried about doing the work and learning the menu as I have always been able to cook. But looking like a duck out of water.

What can I expect on my first day?

I am a bit nervous. Can anyone offer any advice? Any big NO's? Any special culinary equipment I should know of for greek cuisine? I was told there is alot of variation to meats and temperatures and such that are crucial. I understand that is normal with any food to prevent food poisoning. But it was explained as considerably more complex than that.

Can you explain line heirarchy?

Joined Aug 21, 2009
You've probably already experienced it but I can explain the line a little.  Most of my culinary experience has been in smaller kitchens and at one place I was the kitchen as I was the only cook.  (it was a 25 seat cafe but in the warmer months we doubled our seating with the patio)

In our kitchen now (and I have to say it is the biggest one I have ever worked in) we have in the order of the chain of command

KM or Kitchen Manager/Chef
AKM or  Assistant Kitchen Manager/Sous  (me)
KS or Kitchen Supervisor (soon to be taken off of the roster and the position will be replaced only on a need basis and we will give the person a shift premium for the days he has to run the line and we have already chosen someone)
Line Cook and Fruiter

So that is our kitchen.  I know bigger kitchens have bigger brigades so hopefully someone here can explain the larger kitchen to you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom