Finnish this Recipe

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by keeperofthegood, Jan 30, 2005.

1. keeperofthegood

keeperofthegood

Hey oh

LOL, I have to say that there are SO many good ideas here and in the thread history that I am not at all sure which way to turn at times. Tonight I started with two ingredients, and a spice, and built from there. I like where I arrived, but I got to thinking, where would you have arrived had you started from where I started.

So, FINNISH THIS RECIPE (and if this works well, maybe other such challenges in the future)

2 pounds lamb cube cut stew (shank)
    1 cup soaked chick peas
    Cumin seed

The rest is up to you [​IMG]

2. dano1

dano1

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    hummus and a lamb tajine....:)

3. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Curry comes to mind first, but upon further review, it tempts me to try a "yellow beans and rice" with lamb instead instead of andouille. Don't know where the cumin fits in there though.

Take it mexican: a lime vinaigrette with cilantro dressing, chopped onion for a chickpea salad. Braise the shanks in an achiote/sour orange base with the cumin. Thicken the liquid with ground almonds in a mole fashion or perhaps pipian?

Phil

4. jscibelli

jscibelli

braise the lamb in in a reinforced lamb stock. Save the stock and reduce it with coconut milk and lime juice. Puree the chickpeas with some of the stock. Serve the lamb over the puree, use the liquid as a sauce, sprinkle toasted cumin seeds that have been coarsely ground on top and around. I'm coming over for dinner!

5. gonefishin

gonefishin

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hello Keeper :)

Finnish this recipe. I love it! I have thought that it would be interesting to see how a thread like this would pan out ;) Wondering just what people would choose to cook if given a "themed" main ingredient (such as your lamb cube) and a particular direction to go to (such as your chick peas and cumin seed). This can give each person a specific path they must travel, yet differing destinations.

It would also be a way to open up to what others creativity would be when given a similar starting point. Have one "proposal" a month. Then each person can post a description of what they actually cooked for themselves or their company, using the themed ingredients. Perhaps a description of what they cooked, how it turned out...what they may have done differently...and perhaps a photo (link?) displaying the presentation and plating.

I think it may be interesting to see what people actually produce for themselves. There can be lots of great ideas coming from a similar starting point. Be it the most complicated item you've cooked in some time, to the simple classics that just serve the main ingredient so well.

So I do wonder, given some time, what would I actually cook using lamb cube cut stew (shank), 1 cup soaked chick peas and Cumin seed. What would/will I put on my table given this direction. :confused: I'm not sure right now...but I'll get back to you ;)

(keeper, I was thinking out loud a little with my post above. If you feel my response is misplaced or may be better suited elsewhere...please don't hesitate to ask me to edit my post and make the necessary changes. I didn't/don't want to take any attention off of your initial topic.
    thanks!)

dan

6. phishstyx

phishstyx

I don't know if this is cheating because I already make something with those ingredients but I'll add it anyway:
    For the lamb: brown in lard, hit it with a little white wine, add some OJ, a sliced onion, a little cumin, coriander, salt, pepper and some milk then simmer. When tender stoke up the heat and evaporate the liquid to a glaze.
    For the chickpeas: boil them as usual, saute some onion, garlic and diced tomatoes in olive oil, add the cooked chickpeas and a splash of lemon juice then mash while "frying". Mix in a little cumin, ground red pepper, salt and pepper.
    Briefly saute a little garlic, chopped onion and diced tomato and mix into some cooked couscous. Add cilantro, salt, pepper and a little olive oil.
    Plate with tortillas and the standard garnishes and you have lamb carnitas fajitas with refried chickpeas and couscous spanish "rice".

7. gonefishin

gonefishin

Exp:
    At home cook
    I'm back :)

Well, I didn't follow your direction entirely. I kept the lamb shank whole, instead of cubed. I browned the shank on all sides after seasoning with some salt, pepper, paprika, cumin and some coarsely chopped cumin seed. After the shanks were browned they were removed and set aside. In the same pan I added a little veal stock, sliced onion and chopped garlic...cooked...scraped...added the lamb shanks back in the pan... covered and braised in the oven for 3 1/2 hours. Once complete the shanks were while the remaining stock was reduced a bit...juice of one lime added and pad of butter. The shanks and chickpeas (with finely chopped onion and red pepper) were then plated with the sauce being poured over the lamb running into the chickpeas.

Hey...I'll admit that I may be a beginner...and a bit of a hack (in these cooking circles). But this was pretty darn tasty! Thank you :)