finding a job

Joined Jun 9, 2001
i will be graduating from the BPS program from the CIA soon and i am just scratching the service of that jobs out there. i havent looked for jobs on the net yet... can anyone recomend any place to look for jobs on the net?

thanks

Joined Mar 22, 2002
Are you interested in hotels, restaurants, bakeshops?

Here in the Boston area the big hotels/restaurants either post jobs on their own websites (check early and often) or on
monster.com. They also have their own telephone hot-lines.

In my days in biotech, I advertised on our company's website, and on Moster. Monster was a couple hundred dollars for a month - the Boston Globe was $2,000 for a small, one-time ad and cost even more if you wanted the listing available on-line. You do the math!

Bear in mind that not all the jobs on a company website are actually like, real jobs ;) Somepostings are either fishing for whatever might be out there, or just filling up the space. That's why checkign often helps - when there's something new - and real - you recognize it.

I had an automatic search/notification set up on Monster, heard about a job at a big name restaaurant in Boston the day it was posted, told a friend who was looking, and a week later she had the job!

Wishing you the same luck in finding the right fit... :D
Ann

Joined Feb 21, 2001
I wish you a lot of luck, Isaac. Through all of your posts you exhibit a lot of enthusiasm and curiousity. But I wonder if anyone else has noticed that background noise...ta-pocketa, ta-pocketa, ta-pocketa. What is that, anyway? Isaac's mind in high gear?

Joined May 26, 2001
Some ideas: try your school's placement department!

Professional organizations: many have job listings. If you're even a student or junior member, you'd have access.

Dream list: write to the chefs who are best at what you love (chocolate, right?) and ask their advice. If you're able to, visit some of them. You never know! ;)

Other food sites have job listings; a couple I know are:
On the Rail -- although this one is very San Francisco-centric;
Star Chefs -- they have listings AND a pretty helpful newsletter

You might want to stick with specific food/hospitality employment sites. I don't think the general ones understand us :cry: ;)
Chefnet
Foodnet
Foodservice.com

Top Bottom