FINALLY!!!!!! That perfect homemade yellow cake

Joined Dec 24, 2015
Dear BettyR,

I had to join to let you know how much i loved this recipe! Not only the yellow cake but the depression era fudge cake as well. I tried them both! Not to mention i try to avoid sugar and use natural alternatives to it. in the case of these two recipes i used honey crystals and coconut sugar as substitutes and both cakes were still great!! So just wanted to thank you for the wonderful recipes!!

Joined Dec 27, 2015
THANK YOU for creating the truly PERFECT HOMEMADE YELLOW CAKE recipe!!!  I have made it twice within the past 24 hours!!

Joined Jan 15, 2016
I notice you haven't been around for a while Betty, but I wanted to add my thanks as well for the great recipe.

D

Deleted member 76148

I always wondered or whats in a ready made yellow cake mixture. thanks for the recipe. will try it for sure.

Joined Jan 17, 2016
Hi Betty R

I just came to London the other day for my birthday, and my daughter asked me what cake i wanted. I was going to go with one of the old tried and true ones, then i remembered the one you posted. So she made it and it was truly wonderful. It was compact and moist and soft, and the frosting was really great. I used to make a cooked one that would go on shiny but then turn dull (it would turn to fudge) but this stayed shiny and soft, and a nice dark chocolate to contrast with the white cake.

Thanks for posting it. I think it's going to be one of my favorites.

I don;t generally like cakes with oil in them, that leaves a strange feeling on the tongue, but the small amount in this didn;t do that, but added that bit of moisture. Great. Thanks

Joined Jan 17, 2016
This recipe was EXACTLY what I was looking for. I am generally a chocolate cake kind of girl, but when my daughter asked for a yellow cake for her birthday I had to go on the hunt. This cake is a WINNER! Will try to upload photo later...thought it was on my phone, but alas, no. Frosted it with a raspberry cream chese frosting and fresh blackberries ( what was available at the market.

Joined Feb 5, 2016
Thanks! It's an old vanilla buttercream recipe from a Wilton cake decorating course I took back in 1983.

Joined Feb 5, 2016
Sure. Beat together 1 stick softened butter and 2 1/2 cups vegetable shortening. Add one pound confectioners sugar and one tablespoon vanilla extract. Beat slowly and when mixed, beat at medium-high speed 3-5 minutes. Definitely not diet friendly but it tastes great.

Joined Mar 29, 2016
I just took this cake out of the oven and it is the most moist cake ever, I have bought mixes at the store and none compare.  My husband was craving a cake and I located yours on the internet and now I shall make it my own and get all the compliments from the Mr.    I also made the frosting too.

Thank you so ever much for sharing this with all of us.

Joined Jan 15, 2016

@flipflopgirl  there have been so many folks that have asked the same question of this recipe, 

so I thought that I'd do a little experiment...

I took down my OXO Good Grip Angled 2 cup measuring cup,

filled it with Whole Milk (generic store brand) to 1 1/4 cup, 

then added to that same measuring cup of milk, 

2 Tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon of Vegetable Oil

(again, generic store brand)

this equaled 1 1/3 cup total...

what do you think sis?
Maybe this will help........maybe not!

The difference between 1 1/4 cup and 1 1/3 cup is 1/12 Cup (one tweleveth cup)

There are 48 teaspoons in a cup.

Therefore, 1/12 cup = 4 teaspoons.

Joined May 1, 2016
If I want to make it with pineapple, do I add the pineapple juice or do I substitue the liquid with the juice?

Joined Jun 27, 2012

If I want to make it with pineapple, do I add the pineapple juice or do I substitue the liquid with the juice?
Scratch cakes have way less wiggle room than those from the box.

None of the additives that make the box cake nearly indestructible.

If it is juice (not water or syrup) you can sub some of it out with the milk.

Why some and not all?

Milk brings a couple of things to this party.

Yes it thins the batter down but it adds to the overall flavor and texture as well.

mimi

Curious...what did you end up doing and how did the end product turn out?

m

Joined May 18, 2016
Hey Betty,

What is the recipe for this delicious looking chocolate frosting? /img/vbsmilies/smilies/chef.gif  

Joined Dec 18, 2013
Have you  tried making it with coconut oil?  I would love to try this recipe but need to make my cakes dairy-free.

Latest posts

Top Bottom