FINALLY!!!!!! That perfect homemade yellow cake

Joined Aug 18, 2015
I had to join just to say thanks for this recipe. I have used it multiple times for baby showers, birthdays, and other events. I'm currently making a 1st bday cake and will use both your yellow cake and chocolate recipe. I get requests all the time for the yellow cake, especially with my buttercream. The cake is so moist and yet dense enough to really keep its shape without being crummy. The best!
Uploading rainbow sprinkle cake [exterior was all rainbow sprinkles], a Frozen cake, and a baseball cake. All huge hits

Joined Sep 6, 2015
I've been baking for almost 20 years, and I've even had a small business baking and decorating cakes. I have never been successful with a scratch yellow cake recipe. I have tried into the dozens. Chocolate cakes, spice cakes, etc., no problem...but yellow has given me heck. So I had to create an account just to leave a review for this one.
It is PERFECT! I'm probably more thrilled than I should be...lol.
I've already made one layer cake and I have 2 dozen cupcakes in the oven now. I modified a little this second time...I added buttermilk instead of milk, added 1 1/2 teaspoons of butter flavoring, and one extra egg yolk.
We'll see how it turns out. The original is absolutely delicious and moist...even after 3 days, but I wanted to see if I could get a little bit richer flavor.
Thank you SO much for this recipe! I can finally stop looking!

Joined Sep 6, 2015
So I tried the cake, adding one extra egg yolk, 1 and 1/2 teaspoons butter flavor, and buttermilk in place of regular milk. This was declared 'the best cake in the world' by my kids and received rave reviews from everyone else as well. Everyone wanted to eat the cake without frosting...that's how moist and yummy it was! I'm super pleased with this recipe, and I can't wait to try different flavor versions of it!
Thanks again!

Last edited:
Joined Feb 3, 2013
What is all purpose flour self raising or plain and how much is one stick of butter could u post the recipe in grams looks lovely [emoji]128512[/emoji]

Joined Sep 19, 2015
OK...I have to make a comment. I joined to have my say...this cake looks like it will make me look Great in my granddaughters eyes:cool: I'm going to make this wonderful cake for her birthday! It Has to be Vanilla cake!..loll...her very favorite! It's not easy! I have great chocolate cake recipes, but Vanilla cake has been my nemesis! With all the great reviews ... This has to be the one! But, a special treat, just for her... I Have to make her a pan of Chocolate..Chocolate Brownies with Nuts ! And, toasted pecans! Her mom & sister hate nuts...lol...soooo, the brownies are just Hers! ( girl brownies) ! The way I make them, they're more like a chocolatey nutty bar!
I loved what everyone had to say about the cake, I can't wait to bake it!;)

Joined Sep 19, 2015
YUM!...the Yellow cake turned out really...really Great! I would have put the chocolate frosting on it, but, "Boo" ( my granddaughter) had to have a Vanilla frosting! It's really tasty & so easy to prepare! And, hey, it's for a kid! (The adults liked it Too!).
Next time, it's going to be lemon or pineapple & coconut!
I really Love this cake! It's addicting...moist & lovely texture! And, a note, I got only got 2 layers...if I had done 3, they would have been really thin. Two was more than enough.
I reccomend this recipe with a solid 5****!!!!! If you want a really nice & yummy cake foe most everyone's taste... This IS it !!!

Joined Jun 21, 2007
I had to join just to say thanks for this recipe. I have used it multiple times for baby showers, birthdays, and other events. I'm currently making a 1st bday cake and will use both your yellow cake and chocolate recipe. I get requests all the time for the yellow cake, especially with my buttercream. The cake is so moist and yet dense enough to really keep its shape without being crummy. The best!
Uploading rainbow sprinkle cake [exterior was all rainbow sprinkles], a Frozen cake, and a baseball cake. All huge hits

GORGEOUS

Joined Jun 21, 2007
I have made this myself more than a few times now it has never been anything less than a total winner. You mentioned that it has to be a vanilla cake for your granddaughter's birthday and probably a vanilla cake it is, but......coming from a person that loves butter so much&thinks it should be a food group all its own as well as mayonnaise (but that's another subject) to me this cake is deliciously buttery in flavor > just my take on this cake. I will be making it tomorrow as I fly transcon Thursday to deliver it to the people I work with.
I am soooooooo thankful for this recipe.

Joined Dec 2, 2015
the amount of vegetable oil is not in the recipe; it simply says vegetable oil.  Someone else asked you and you said it was in the recipe.  Could you please provide that?  Thank you

Joined Apr 24, 2011
@flipflopgirl  there have been so many folks that have asked the same question of this recipe, 

so I thought that I'd do a little experiment...

I took down my OXO Good Grip Angled 2 cup measuring cup,

filled it with Whole Milk (generic store brand) to 1 1/4 cup, 

then added to that same measuring cup of milk, 

2 Tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon of Vegetable Oil

(again, generic store brand)

this equaled 1 1/3 cup total...

what do you think sis?

Joined Jun 27, 2012
kaneohegirlinaz kaneohegirlinaz I am a visual learner and think your pix will help people like me "get" the whole how to figure out the oil measurement question without having to stop and wait for an answer from now on.

ummm..... in other words.... great job sis!
Have one on me :beer: lol.

mimi

Joined Jun 27, 2012

Hmmm, since Betty has not returned to CT in some time, 

I wonder if there is a way to some how "add" to the recipes directions?

What do you think @flipflopgirl  ?
IDK about adding to the original recipe once it has been posted on a forum.

But since it would just be a picture it may be ok?

Good question to toss to the mods.

Who owns a recipe once it has been posted on a public forum?

Anyone?

mimi

Joined Dec 18, 2015
I bought myself a KitchenAid stand mixer a couple years ago and began experimenting on the neighbors ... not that they minded ... I came across this recipe and it was a hit!  I quadrupled the recipe and had my professional series bowl mixing at full capacity.  I baked and baked and froze it for later.  The neighbors were stunned that I could produce awesome food so quickly.  Thanks for a winning receipt!

Top Bottom