Finally got my ideal kitchen job - saying hi!

Joined Dec 13, 2017
Hey all!

I've been a lead cook and baker for a high-volume summer camp, and a pizza chef (did pizza, apps, and salads) at a popular local Italian place. The life goal is own my own food truck.

I was working in IT at a hospital for the past couple years, but I just got a full time job offer for a new restaurant/pub opening in town. She matched my pay and guaranteed at least 40 hours a week. Normally I'd be hesitant about a new restaurant, but the owner has ran a successful diner in a smaller nearby town for many years, has solid capital and menu, and the location is where a previous diner was that was insanely popular, and greatly missed by the clientele. The owner and I really click, and I think we'll get along great. She hired me on the spot as a line cook after a twenty minute conversation, and wants me to write specials and pair them with the local beers she'll be serving.

Anyone have any advice for my shot at the "big time"? (lol) I am pretty excited and want to do well, but I'll be doing new things like grilling steaks (which I do fine with at home), and writing specials. I've never had a say in the menu before, and I'm excited but nervous.

Any tips?

If not, see you around the forums!

Joined Dec 13, 2017
First of all Congratulations!!! A nice Steak special will be great for your customers and will pair well with wine or beer. As you get feedback on the specials, you may want to incorporate the most popular ones into the regular menu or rotate them in for a certain period of time. As always you practice with your staff and see how they feel about new menu options or specials. I think you will do fine....best wishes!!

Top Bottom