Finally got around to making pretzels using lye..

Joined Oct 23, 2008
Although I like to bake, I don't do it too often. In the past it was just too hot in the house in Florida to start with but now I have much better digs and a double oven so I enjoy bouncing around trying different things out. I have previously made some pretzel rolls for sandwiches/burgers using the boiling water with baking soda.. I was really happy with my results but everyone online kept raving about using lye to make pretzels.

A while back I got some food grade lye on amazon and this morning decided to go ahead and try it out. The recipe I used was from King Arthur for pretzel bites and I just halved it and made two larger pretzels. I was really happy with these. They are Bavarian style, so the one section is kind of fat. I didn't score deep enough to get the separation I wanted but all in all I can't complain.

Thought I would share. If you like pretzels, the lye is inexpensive and the bread recipe is super simple. It's a great unique snack I can whip up inside an hour for people anytime I want..

lyepretzels.jpg

pretzelcrumb.jpg

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
Have you made pretzels before, using baking soda for the dip? If so, how did they compare to the lye dip? I haven't done the lye dip yet, but have been happy with the baking soda dip and still get a good flavor and texture, if not perfect.

Joined Oct 23, 2008
Hey Pete.. Yes I actually said in my post the only previous time I did the baking soda method. I made rolls and with the addition of a light egg wash I got beautiful color and the flavor was on point. After making the pretzels this morning, I think people are just elitist and proud they got their hands on lye and so they have to extort it as superior. It's not superior. It's different.. if I want a soft pretzel though, the boiling and baking soda isn't going to hit that mark. I consider them two separate products though, how many people actually expect or may want a chewy pretzel.. this lye version does not provide chew.

Here are the rolls I did years ago.. prolls.jpg

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
Sorry, I missed that on my first reading of your post. Glad to hear that lye really isn't that superior. I'll stick with baking soda and not bother to seek out lye.

Latest posts

Top Bottom