Filet Knives

Joined Feb 19, 2002
Hello All,

I am considering buying a filet knife and am leaning towards the Global 9.5 inch flex filet since it is long enough to easily handle some of the bigger fish I see come through work.

Any thoughts on cheaper/better knives out there that could change my mind?

Terrarich

Joined Dec 8, 1999
It won't look as cool, but F. Dick makes good filet knives. Plastic handle for easy cleaning, holds a good edge and costs significantly less. I got mine for $20 on sale on-line (sorry, don't remember where).

Joined Feb 19, 2002
I have not seen a filet knife quite as long as the Global. I am not buying it because it looks cool, rather that I have not seen anyhting from Forschner or Dick to compare.

Terrarich

Joined Dec 8, 1999
Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that you were gong to buy it merely because it looks cool. It does look cool, though! I've got a Global chef's knife, myself; they're good knives. Come to think of it, the only filet knife I've seen even close to that long was a Wusthof, I think.

Joined Sep 21, 2001
I prefer to use a couple of knives depending on the size of the fish. If you have a big fish you need a big knife- buy a scimitar, at least 12". A big flat blade keeps the sides of fish from getting torn from "sawing" with a small blade. A 9" filet knife will take all day with a 30lb salmon or 50lb halibut. I use a filet knife after I take the sides off the backbone. My filet knife- 6.5" Trident, same as I use for trimming meats.
And NOBODY give the guy wielding a 20" scimitar ANY flak.....

Latest posts

Top Bottom