fig salad with greek oxymeli

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by siduri, Jun 17, 2013.

1. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    I make a really nice salad i learned from the Ottolenghi cookbook "Plenty" with figs, cheese and rughetta (rocket, rugola, arugula) and a honey and oil dressing. 

They opened up a new little Greek takeout/snackbar type place near where i work.  Now this may seem like nothing to you, but the foreign restaurants in rome can probably be counted on the fingers of one or two people's hands.  So it's a big deal.  And their stuff is quite good, fresh, and tasty. 

They offered us this special vinegar (oxymeli) made with figs and currants and vinegar and wine for the salad.  I tasted it and it immediately brought to mind this wonderful salad.  I bought some figs and some rughetta and some fresh pecorino cheese ("primo sale" - first salt) and mixed them in a dish with plenty of fresh basil leaves.  Then i made a dressing of olive oil, salt, pepper and this greek vinegar.  It was wonderful.  I sliced some nice crusty bread and had a meal on the table in about five minutes. 

2. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    What a delicious combination of flavors.

3. chicagoterry

chicagoterry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    That looks and sounds wonderful.

Plenty is a drop dead gorgeous book, isn't it?

4. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    absolutely!  It changed my way of cooking, opened up my creativity.  It's so original.  (well, see my review on the book on cheftalk). 

5. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Delicious, right up my alley.  And see?  You're getting the hang of posting pics!