fiddleheads

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by hexnymph, May 21, 2003.

1. hexnymph

hexnymph

Does anyone out there have any suggestions for prepairing fiddlehead ferns?

Foraging season is upon us and the fiddleheads are in abundance. I have, in the past, blanched and sautee'd in butter with mediocre results. I've even dehydrated them and reconstitued for "backpacking" food. I'm just kind of looking for other ideas.

Thanks,
    Hex

2. miahoyhoy

miahoyhoy

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hey Hex,

Click here to see my Taster Menu I offered last week.

Fiddlehead Menu

The Pickled ferns are awesome.
    I cure them in a Hatch Green Chile Vinegar of my own concoction.

I usually don't blanch them before doing anything with them, the flavor is much brighter that way.

Enjoy the ferns, I found the first of this season's morels yesturday and can hardly contain myself!:D

lates,
    Jon

3. hexnymph

hexnymph

That's a really cool menue!

I've never thought of pickling them, that's definitly going to happen.... fiddlehead ice cream :)

Are the ramps coming up in your area?

I found one morel this year so far... those suckers are invisible (we only get blacks in this area)

4. miahoyhoy

miahoyhoy

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Yeah,
    This is one of my favorite months around here.
    Ramps, Fiddleheads, Morels (Blonde), Asparagus, Chickory, Dandilions, Violets, Etcetera, Etcetera, Etcetera!

Jon

5. hexnymph

hexnymph

Maybe you could help me out with one. A friend of mine showed me a plant yesterday that I can't seem to find the translation for. The Korean term for it is Chinamul (sp?).

Its a small plant growing about oh, 8" off the ground with broad leafs. The leafs are slightly fuzzy, sticky when tampered with, and very fragrant... closest thing I think it smells like is sumac.
    I saw now flower.

I cooked some up last night, but with most of my experimentation, I cooked the crap out of it.... and over spiced... so the flavor was not noticable.

Thanks,
    Hex

6. chiffonade

chiffonade

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I knew someone from a town/city (?) in New Hampshire called Conway. When I told him I bought fiddlehead ferns, he asked, "Did you make them with butter and vinegar?" I responded, "I will tonight!" The vinegar seemed to temper the oiliness of the butter. I added S&P.

I'm sure I've missed that very very small window of your fiddlehead season - but save this suggestion for next year!