Fettuccine Pasta Is A Little Tough

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by mathnerdm, Jul 27, 2014.

1. mathnerdm

mathnerdm

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    So I made my first batch of fettuccine pasta and it went really well! I had to do it without a pasta machine so it took a good amount of time, but was A LOT of fun! Only problem was, I boiled it for around 7 minutes and when I finished some noodles were still a little tough and chewy I guess would describe it best. Would that mean I should cook them longer or could it be a problem with the way I made the dough? Thanks!

2. janedoe10001

janedoe10001

Exp:
    Other
    Could it possibly be too much flour/semolina?

3. grande

grande

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Could be overworked. 7 minutes seems plenty fresh pasta but watch out for noodles sticking together.

4. mathnerdm

mathnerdm

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    It could be but since this is my first go at pasta from scratch, I really don't know. The dough wasn't cracking or dry seeming though. Do you not think it would be the boiling time?

5. mathnerdm

mathnerdm

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    So in general, if you want softer "mushier" pasta, you would cook it less? And for pasta cooked al dente (a little tougher from my understanding) you would cook it longer?

6. grande

grande

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    No no no, you misunderstand. Fresh pasta you don't really do al dente; its a dough, like bread or pancakes. You cook it until it's cooked. Undercooked fresh pasta has wierd, gummy texture. But your dough coild be overworked; kneaded too much. I had that problem last time i made pasta at home, and it made the noodles tough.

7. mathnerdm

mathnerdm

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    To my understanding, I thought al dente almost exclusively talked about pasta? That's at least what I've read and heard Italian cooks in videos say lol. Am I mistaken?

8. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef

@Grande  while I agree with you that it is a dough I view fresh pasta more as a dumpling not a bread dough or pancake. And yes often overworking the dough as in all doughs to create a tough product.

@mathnerdm  what type of flour did you use?

9. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    My guess is, since you didn't use a pasta roller, that you didn't roll it thin enough. Overworking pasta dough is hard to do, not impossible, but easier if you used a food processor. 

And hey, kudos for making fresh pasta. Another couple of batches you'll be wondering why you've never done it before. 

nicko likes this.
  10. grande

grande

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    @nicko absolutely you're right; just examples. Dumplings are a better one though.
    @mathnerdm what I was saying is that, when you cook dry pasta, there's a point at which it still has a little bite- al dente- that is desireable. With fresh pasta you just cook it until its cooked- and no longerlol.
    Someday has a good point, if some of the noodles were thicker than others that also could make them tough.

11. mathnerdm

mathnerdm

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    If I post a picture of the final noodles could you see if they were too thick?

12. grande

grande

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Me, probably not. Try it again, you said they were mostly good; but now you have some pointers to watch. Make sure you roll them all out nice and this, and when they're cooked taste one before you drain it to check that its as cooked as you want it. Practice makes perfect! Now i want some fresh pasta...

13. nicko

Exp:
    Former Chef
  14. mathnerdm

mathnerdm

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Thanks so much for replying everyone! It is greatly appreciated! This pic is just a small amount of what I made but you can see the thickness of a couple noodles really well. I know it's not good looking pasta, but it is my first true dish from scratch lol (if you would even call it that)... 

http://

Thanks Nicko for adding that "How to" article, definitely will check that out!

15. mathnerdm

mathnerdm

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Thanks so much for replying everyone! It is greatly appreciated! This is a picture of my first plate of pasta, I know it's not good looking pasta but it was my first dish really made from scratch lol (if that's what you would call this). Please any input on thickness or anything else would be awesome! Also, thanks for the link to the article Nicko, definitely gotta check that out! Thanks again!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  16. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Looks rather thick to me. But if that is your very first pasta i see a great pasta maker in the future!

17. nicko

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I am with @ordo  it looks like you might of rolled it a bit thinner.

18. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Your problems is almost definitely too thick pasta. Unless you are an Italian grandmother you'd best invest in a pasta roller. You could probably find one on ebay for cheap. If you plan on making fresh pasta often it is a necessity. 

If you have the duckets then Kitchen-Aid makes a pretty darn good pasta roller attachment. I think they are 50-70 bucks, but IMO worth it. 

19. mathnerdm

mathnerdm

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    I'm glad to hear all of you agree the problem is that it's too thick because I did think I made the dough really well and would have had no idea what to do differently lol! I'm going to make some more tomorrow, so before I do, I must ask. What is a good time range to expect fettuccine to cook in? Like when would be a good time to start tasting it? Thanks again for everybody's help!

20. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    The thinner the quicker it will cook. It it is thin, 2-3 minutes is probably good. Then you always finish in the sauce with a little of the pasta water thrown in. I'm sure youtube has thousands of videos on how to do this. 

Let us know how it turns out.