fermentation and pickling

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by pirate-chef, Mar 2, 2014.

1. pirate-chef

pirate-chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Im just curious what everyone else is doing. lately i pickle about anything and im very curious and interested in fermenting. what are your favorites? any cool tricks? 

2. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    pickled mango Hawaiian style!!!

3. pirate-chef

pirate-chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    whats that style 

4. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    green mango,  palm sugar, rice wine vinegar, red Hawaiian sea salt, li hing mui (Chinese preserved plums)

5. brandon odell

brandon odell

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I made a ton of pickles last year. My favorite has been some orange sriracha spears. They've been getting hotter every month. Next year I'm planning on planting a lot more jalapeños so I can pickle some of those. I haven't done any fermenting but I love Kim chi.

6. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I am doing a lot on indonesian atjarr (old spelling, think it is now spelled acar) basically a very quick pickle, ready to eat in a couple of hours

7. pirate-chef

pirate-chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thank you all for the help. I have been really happy with pickling rose petals from rose hips and useing the liquid and flowers in ice cream and drink bases, charred pickled onions are always around and pickled sea buckthorn were favorites. at the moment i have been working on making my own ciders in a semi champagne style fermenting for 3-4 months then going through a secondary fermentation in the bottle, and also sourkraut and sourdough. just looking for new ideas and inspiration. Im about to get a larger store room in the restaurant and plan on filling a lot of space with these goodies since the winters here are slim if you plan on using local bits. also pickled root celery has been really nice.