Fennel Pollen

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by cape chef, Jan 13, 2001.

1. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    This is a very new product, I am getting 1 once into work on monday. $35 an once,incredibly potiant.As I have read the wild fennel is allowed to flower and then picked and hung upside down with a paper bag wrapped over the flower. Once a day someone taps the bag to release the pollen and it collects in the bag. It is supposed to be very powerful in flavor,so a little goes a long way. I have only had it once,Last year at Babo in Manhattan Mario Batoli did a pasta dish with fennel pollen...very intense.
    I am thinking about using it to cure salmon,Ala Gravlox. If it works the way I think it might, It could be quite a nice dish
    cc

2. isa

isa

I know they sell pollen in health food store but didn't know you could use it as a seasoning. I'll be curious to hear how it turns out.

3. cookm

cookm

I'm curious what else was in the pasta dish, and about how much of the pollen did they use? I've never heard of this; I'll have to ask some Chez Panisse people if they've used fennel pollen before also.

4. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Cook M, It was a herb ravioli with simply brown butter with the pollen, I talked to the farmers yesterday in detail about it's uses, It is very strong and a little goes a long way. I will let you know how it turns out
    cc

5. dlee

dlee

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    C.C.

Very interesting, I am always open to new products like this. What are the benefits/claim of this product?

D.Lee

6. dlee

dlee

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    C.C.

Very interesting, I am always open to new products like this. What are the benefits/claim of this product? Is it a intense fennel flavor? Have you tasted it? So many questions...

D.Lee

7. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Dlee, You get an intense fennel (anise) flavor.Very pure.It's like having the pure essence of the flavor in powdered form. It's kind of brown in color but does not bleed the color into the food,and as far as mouth feel (Or texture)You do not feel it, not grainy. I love fennel bulb and use it almost everyday in one or another,and this is not to replace the flavor or texture or eye appeal of fennel,but only a new and I think exciting addition of what some of the farmers with Imagination can do. I will let you know how it goes as I use it
    cc

8. chef david simpson

chef david simpson

What's your source cc? I had a soup w/ fennel pollen and it really good. I never really thought of encorparating it in my staples.

[This message has been edited by Chef David Simpson (edited 01-13-2001).]

9. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    David, I get it through Sid Wainer out of Fall River Mass. At this time they have made arrangements with nokoma farms to be the sole US distributor. At 35 once once I don't know if it will become a staple, But I am looking forward to using it for special occasions when warranted. I will give you the # tomorrow
    cc

10. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    HMMMM I just happen to know a few farmers. If you could find out the variety of fennel and how they get it to not rot as it hangs...
    very interesting.

11. dlee

dlee

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    CC,

I do a tomato fennel broth for pasta and chicken. I would also like a contact number for this product. Is it expensive?

D.Lee

12. dlee

dlee

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    CC,

I do a tomato fennel broth for pasta and chicken dishes. I would also like a contact number for this product. Is it expensive?

D.Lee

13. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    sisi,

I don't think this is anything like the bee pollen they sell in health food stores. That stuff tastes pretty bad. I'm not sure how it's harvested, but it's used more for its health benefits than its flavor. I can't wait to hear how this fennel pollen works out.

14. m brown

m brown

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    fennel pollen sorbet, fennel pollen zabaglione, fennel pollen honey tuiles.

[​IMG]

15. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    How about oyster and brie soup garished with a fried oyster seasoned with fennel pollon?
    cc

16. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    That sounds great!

17. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Any recommendations for substitutes for fennel pollen?

18. dlee

dlee

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    cchiu,

I have not tried fennel pollen yet but substitutes might be something like; fennel bulbs that are sauted then deglazed and the liquid reduced. or Pernod.

D.Lee

19. isa

isa

If fennel pollen is so good, why not use pollen from other vegetables?

[This message has been edited by Sisi (edited 01-17-2001).]

20. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    HMMMMM~ I'm having a chef/farmer/seed catalog meeting Mon night, I'll ask the guys about various pollens. They'll think I'm really nuts.