Feel im getting screwed...

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by pinkykaz, Jul 19, 2011.

1. pinkykaz

pinkykaz

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Hows everyone? This is my first thread on here and thanks for the help in advanced!

I have recently moved up from being a line cook to training as a captain in my kitchen (helping out with ordering, scheduling, running inside/outside expo). I got a raise because of it and I am early in my career so I thought that what I was getting seemed fair. Talking to a new line cook who just got hired and is getting 50cents less an hour then me as just a cook... I feel like I'm being takin advantage of here. Not sure how to approach my boss on this one, any ideas? I would like to stay at this restaurant as I feel this job will help me in the long run and look good on a resume, but I could be wrong?

-Kyle

2. left4bread

left4bread

Exp:
    mgmt
    Heya!

Grats on being good enough for them to spend time in training you to do ordering.

It's not something that I would train just anyone to do.

You should probably just be grateful for them spending their time training you.

Consider it an apprenticeship.

I've got line cooks practically begging me to teach them how to food cost and whatnot.

I simply don't have the time to do it.

There are classes you can take to learn and PAY for the knowledge...  or you can get paid to learn and be happy that you're getting paid more than that line cook...

tldr; they're paying you AND training you. 

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

3. pinkykaz

pinkykaz

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Didn't think of it from that point of view, I am happy I got the position and a raise. Thanks for opening my eyes!

4. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Do the job till you learn it all. The more you learn the more valuable you are to them . then ask for raise as now they have invested time in you and won't want you to leave

5. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Hey Pinky,

As you learn and move up you will understand that anyone worth their weight will never put their business. You should do the same.

If you acted on this, then found out the line cook was blowing smoke up your nose, you would have ruined your shot. The posters before me are talking to you from experience. Follow their lead. Get all the education and experience and then present yourself to ownership as being value added. You'll get greased.

If you want to stay with this industry PLEASE don't put your business in the street and stay outside the politics!

Good luck to you my friend,

pan

I hope you enjoyed your first post/img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

BTW Is the avatar your real looks? I'm might focus on working in the BOH/img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

6. pinkykaz

pinkykaz

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Haha yes avatar is my real looks, and my boss still gave me a promotion! Thanks for all the advice, thats why I posted here before I acted on it, I figured someone with a couple years on me might know a thing or two :)

7. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Couple of years  ??  You are being nice. Probably between Panini and I you have almost a 100 years.

8. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif   100 yrs. That's funny, I almost fell off my scooter.

9. liza

liza

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Don't you mean walker?

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif

10. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Don't worry about the nickels and dimes, learn the job and talk in thousands..............you don't make money in this business going for interviews, you make money when they seek you out......................ChefBillYB

11. left4bread

left4bread

Exp:
    mgmt
    You old farts need to realize that it's called  "hoveround" not "a walker"!

Learn your new mode of transportation.

And enjoy it! 

[edit]: meant that with all due respect. 

gl with the hoveround and your EZ-grabber.

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif   , also: ;)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  12. liza

liza

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    we don't need an EZ Grabber with orthopedic lifts in our shoes

I should get a 'hoverround'.. tired of the dog chasing the tennis balls on the walker

13. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Make fun of us old farts as you say. But anytime you young guys  want to have a quiz on cooking let us know.

14. thetincook

thetincook

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Guess that means I'll have to dust off my cheatsheets on poelet and blanquettes.

15. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    OK,  I'm an old fart. I guess I should know what that is. But I don't have a clue/img/vbsmilies/smilies/confused.gif

Unless you're talking about chicken,veal,etc. friccasee. I know that spelling is wrong!!/img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif  Hey ChefEd never mentioned spelling.

16. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    You agreed to the wage. It doesn't matter what someone else is getting. 

17. thetincook

thetincook

Exp:
    Line Cook
    That's ok, you're pastry, you don't have to know anything about cooking /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Poelet is a very old cooking method. You take a piece of meat, put it on some matingon (fancy mirepoix), drizzle it with butter, and bake it in a covered pot. When the meat is done, you make an integral sauce.

Blanquette is kinda like friccasse, but you blanch the meat, then simmer it in a white stock with mirepoix and a bouqet garni. You make then make a sauce out of the stock with white roux and liason or cream.

18. liza

liza

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Us hillbilly pastry types call that pot roast

19. thetincook

thetincook

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Nah, pot roast gets browned before cooking. Also, poelet tends to focus on white meats IIRC.

liza likes this.
  20. left4bread

left4bread

Exp:
    mgmt
    That'd be like a senior kicking a freshman's ass in the schoolyard; completely unfair fight, but fun to watch.  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif