Feeding Roman Legions

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by biltong, Dec 12, 2004.

1. biltong

biltong

What a great site!
    Just a couple of questions.
    I'm currently researching several topics for a new book. Although the project is not directly about cooking it does make reference to the Roman occupation of Britain around 300AD and in particular the catering structures in place to feed the soilders at various levels. I was wondering if anyone has or knows of any resources that might shed a little light on the subject.
    Secondly, for those of you who are familiar with the Scottish dish of 'Haggis', was there, or is there still a comprable dish ( similar in taste and/or recipe) either in old Rome or todays Italy?
    Sounds a bit wiered, I know, but the book is a bit strange :crazy:

Many thanks to you all

DRDW

2. keeperofthegood

keeperofthegood

Hey oh

Haggis is essentially liver pate. Its history is a subject all its own and is as much romantically based as it is politically based.

As to the Roman question, I wish I could remember the name, but there is an international club of re-creationists. They are like the Society for Creative Anachronism. Except they re-creat Rome. I know the armourer here als is the armourer for the Roman group as well. Try the main website and there may be a link to the Rome group, or a member sub-site that links to the Roman group.

http://www.sca.org/

EDIT

I did a little bit of googleing, and I found this bibliographical listing. Fourth book down sounds like what you may be asking about, so I stopped reading there, the list is long but noe exhaustive. There may be more texts than that one listed. Give it a review.

http://members.tripod.com/~S_van_Dorst/biblio.html

3. armand

armand

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    About feeding the Roman legions I can strongly recommend this book:

Junkelmann, M., Panis militaris (Mainz 1997) 254p

The book is very interesting, as all of Junkelmanns books on Rome are. It is written in German hiwever and I have no idea wether there is an English translation available.

4. biltong

biltong

Thanks for your responces.
    I shall research them both
    Merry Xmas all

Biltong