Feedback Needed for Grad School Marketing Project

Joined Mar 11, 2018
Hello Community looking for some information about professional chefs and culinary school for a marketing program. Our goal is to be able to develop a marketing plan for a new school trying to change culinary education into a more modern,afforadble and embrace a more hands on approach.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CulinaryIndustry

Really appreciate your help

Wendy

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
I tried to do your survey but I did not attend cooking school. My suggestion is if you are going to ask everyone then make sure everyone can answer.

Joined Sep 26, 2017
The school I went to changed from very professional and serious course to a more relax and approachable course to bring in more students and more money.

They succeed in making more money, but lost all the prestige and no longer producing model students/employees.

Last edited:
Joined Oct 10, 2005
How do you design a culinary school curriculum if there are no recognized standards/benchmarks/qualifications to achieve?

Joined Jun 23, 2015
I looked at your survey. Why the questions on age, race, household income, and where we live? I thought you wanted to know what should be taught in culinary school.

Joined Mar 11, 2018
I looked at your survey. Why the questions on age, race, household income, and where we live? I thought you wanted to know what should be taught in culinary school.
trying to figure out what would be a good target market for this type of school

Joined Mar 11, 2018
The school I went to changed from very professional and serious course to a more relax and approachable course to bring in more students and more money.

They succeed in making more money, but lost all the prestige and no longer producing model students/employees.[/QUOTE
Thank you for sharing, that is unfortunate. Thank you for the insight.

Joined Oct 10, 2005
Umm Wendy, that isn't an answer to my question.

Look at things from a different perspective:

Who is creating a market for cooks?

Answer, the employer.

See, in my neck of the woods, the employers have tremendous input in curriculum and have lobbied for gov't recognized trade qualifications. Pay scales are based on qualifications AND work experience.

From both the employer's view, and the graduated culinary student's view, what good is culinary school when after graduation you are plating salads at minumum wage?

Joined Oct 1, 2006
Hi Wendy,

I completed the survey.

A marketing plan... Wonderful! Just promise that all graduates will have their own multimillion dollar food empire!
***(If they fully apply themselves...)***

"No Steven, you didn't fully apply yourself, you slept more than four hours a day and took days off to relax..."

See, we told the truth!

Ah, I love marketing! Where can I get some "Gluten-free" Butter?

The single most important factor in the success of a Culinary student is the passion, effort and dedication of the student, not the instructor or the curriculum. Plenty of CIA and Cordon Bleu grads that are useless. Are you teaching self-motivation, delayed gratification, and passion?

Marketing is fun though! Repackaging what every culinary school offers sounds like a fun challenge!

I thought about "marketing" Câté, refrigerated cat food, "Only for those few that honestly love their cat, probably not for you." (quadruple price) LOL! Marketing...

Good luck with your marketing plan!

Top Bottom