Feedback for a new product

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by Clove925, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Clove925

Clove925

Exp:
    Start Up
    Hi there, I am part of a new start up and we are creating a smart appliance for restaurants and I was hoping to get feedback from the chef community.

The product we are making is a large appliance that fully automates the process of growing microgreens, leafy greens and herbs. It uses Aeroponics technology to grow produce up to three times faster than traditional methods while using 98% less water. Everything will be automated so the nutrients, water, and light cycles will be taken care of. The only maintenance will be to trim the roots and harvest the produce. Customers will be able to see you using live greens that was grown in house. I have attached a picture of what it might look like. Would there be any interest in a product like this? do you have any general comments questions?
    [​IMG]

2. sgmchef

sgmchef

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Hi Clove925,

What is the cost differential of buying VS. in-house growing?

3. Clove925

Clove925

Exp:
    Start Up
    Depends on the plants being grown but for micro-greens it is on average 10 Cents cheaper accounting for water and electricity costs

4. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Ahaha, 10 cents per what, an ounce? And you are not accounting for the labor I take it?

Irrelevant point really. I would think if you could grow a noticeably better product then savings wouldn't matter anyway to those who would be attracted, nor would they matter to those who don't want the space and bother concerns.

Many decades ago I contemplated growing wheat grass for juicing, this was shortly before it caught on some. That would possibly be an application, but hard-core growers believe in growing in compost only for the nutritional value.

5. Clove925

Clove925

Exp:
    Start Up
    Sorry yeah 10 cents cheaper per ounce, and there really isn't much labor besides trimming the roots once a month and harvesting the greens as they mature.

yeah our main value proposition is reducing your supply chain and allowing you to market to your customers that you grow fresh ingredients in house.

6. drirene

drirene

Exp:
    At home wannabe pastry chef
    Please repost the photo. It is not viewable.