Federal unemployment compensation keeping people out of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined Jan 4, 2011

chefbillyb ... In all the other industrialized countries that just happen to have universal healthcare that have raised their minimum wage ... Micky D's prices haven't gone through the roof.

Joined May 5, 2010
Okay, so let us take the words themselves.
Minimum wage, meaning the least an owner will pay for a person just starting out in the job world. Doesn't have to be food service either.
What has happened is that workers are relying on that minimum wage to survive, and that's not working.
Raising the minimum wage so now the hamburger flipper, or grocery store stocking person, can make a living wage contradicts the meaning of the words now in a way.

What what once a starting out wage has become what some believe should be a right to make more money right away, without going through the chain and working their way up to the higher wage.
How's does this sound to you? Line cook, been with a kitchen 7 years and is up to $17.00 an hour. Chef now must hire a cook and must pay him minimum wage at $15.00 an hour. Long time line cook must work side by side with the new guy and sees this guy has no experience and is clumsy, even after several weeks on the line. Is it fair? No. But this is what's going to happen.
Now that's not say this can't happened irrespective of the wage or not, but the minimum wage is just that and changing it's meaning isn't going to change anything for the good.

Joined Aug 13, 2019
10 dollar an hour dishwasher works 25 hours a week and makes around 700 dollars after taxes with stimulus and partial unemployment. Thats about 28 bucks an hour take home. Multi member or family homes really have no reason to work. Its been hard finding staff. 2 applications in a year.

Joined Dec 23, 2004
What what once a starting out wage has become what some believe should be a right to make more money right away, without going through the chain and working their way up to the higher wage.
How's does this sound to you? Line cook, been with a kitchen 7 years and is up to $17.00 an hour. Chef now must hire a cook and must pay him minimum wage at $15.00 an hour. Long time line cook must work side by side with the new guy and sees this guy has no experience and is clumsy, even after several weeks on the line. Is it fair? No. But this is what's going to happen.

Except that it never works that way. Changes to the minimum wage, including the current proposals, all call for it to be phased in over four or five years. So no one is jumping from $7.25 right up to $15. Besides, the fact that someone else should suffer the way you did is a petty argument that's rooted in emotion instead of fact. When the drinking age went from 19 to 21 was that "unfair" to people who couldn't drink til they were 21? When the voting age was lowered from 21 to 18 was that "unfair" to people who couldn't vote til they turned 21? By that logic we would never expand rights; women wouldn't be able to vote, blacks couldn't marry whites, etc all because some slightly older person didn't get to enjoy those rights.

In your example the old pro will work alongside the guy that makes $9/hour, then a year or two later that nOOb is making $11 (or maybe by that time he's experienced enough to be worth more). The old pro will likely enjoy wage inflation as well and will probably get a bump with each raise in the min (at least that's what I saw back in the day).

I just don't think we should have a permanent underclass of peasants just in the interest of "fairness" to the older peasants.

Last edited:
Joined Feb 8, 2009
Why would anyone think it's up to a Business to give a $15 wage to do work thats no worth $15. If the Government thinks the minimum wage s/b $15 then let them subsidize some of the money to make up the difference. Let's see how that goes over in Congress.........

Joined May 5, 2010
Except that it never works that way. Changes to the minimum wage, including the current proposals, all call for it to be phased in over four or five years. So no one is jumping from $7.25 right up to $15. Besides, the fact that someone else should suffer the way you did is a petty argument that's rooted in emotion instead of fact. When the drinking age went from 19 to 21 was that "unfair" to people who couldn't drink til they were 21? When the voting age was lowered from 21 to 18 was that "unfair" to people who couldn't vote til they turned 21? By that logic we would never expand rights; women wouldn't be able to vote, blacks couldn't marry whites, etc all because some slightly older person didn't get to enjoy those rights.

In your example the old pro will work alongside the guy that makes $9/hour, then a year or two later that nOOb is making $11 (or maybe by that time he's experienced enough to be worth more). The old pro will likely enjoy wage inflation as well and will probably get a bump with each raise in the min (at least that's what I saw back in the day).

I just don't think we should have a permanent underclass of peasants just in the interest of "fairness" to the older peasants.
I see your point, and then remembered that the changes would be gradual not right away.
I still stand by my points about minimum wage.

Joined Dec 23, 2004
It's definitely complicated, chefross chefross . I can't claim to have all the answers, but I don't think our current economic & social system is equitable or sustainable. An every shrinking pool of people possess an ever expanding portion of the total wealth. Having the richest dozen guys having more than the poorest 100M people combined, well...that's not a type of society that can endure for a lot longer. Probably we won't fix it by tossing a few crumbs to the very poorest but there seems to be no political will to any more.

Joined Nov 9, 2020
And yet some places seem content to pay sub-minimum. Seriously, I was looking at picking up a PT gig at a local deli / restaurant, and talking to the "manager" I asked what they pay... to which she replied "below minimum". I asked how, and she said their owner said they were "Exempt" because they have under 25 employees... so I asked how much, they said around and up to $11 an hour... and justified it by telling me "this is a small town"... :emoji_confounded: :emoji_rolling_eyes: (The "manager" told me she'd been there for "a few years" and was now making $12.50 an hour - still sub-minimum. Guess the owner talks a good game...)

$400 a week is sub-minimum... And I'm sorry, but if someone tells me they'd rather sit on their butts making unemployment, sorry, but I'm not sure they'd be a "good fit" for my place of business. Even Dishwashers get paid AT LEAST minimum... Lline cooks? Sub minimum? :emoji_laughing: Made me look at them in a whole different light.

Joined Dec 29, 2019
Why would anyone think it's up to a Business to give a $15 wage to do work thats no worth $15. If the Government thinks the minimum wage s/b $15 then let them subsidize some of the money to make up the difference. Let's see how that goes over in Congress.........
Why?
Because they think they're God.

Equality of opportunity is the promise of democracy.
Equality of outcome is marxism and we know how that went, the 20th century showed where that experiment ends up. The experiment has been run already, theres no need to disguise what it is and try imposing it again....and again.

Last edited:
Joined May 25, 2015
Why would anyone think it's up to a Business to give a $15 wage to do work that's not worth $15.

I've always wondered why the cost of labor is something that employers figure they can control. I think the answer is that there are always suckers who will work for whatever they are offered. It's a race to the bottom.

Suppose you are a steak house and the cost of beef suddenly doubled for some reason. Are you going to tell your supplier that you aren't going to pay that price? Then you check around and see that every other supplier is doing the same thing. So what do you do, find a suppler of horse meat?

Minimum wage fixes that.

Joined Dec 29, 2019
I've always wondered why the cost of labor is something that employers figure they can control. I think the answer is that there are always suckers who will work for whatever they are offered. It's a race to the bottom.

Suppose you are a steak house and the cost of beef suddenly doubled for some reason. Are you going to tell your supplier that you aren't going to pay that price? Then you check around and see that every other supplier is doing the same thing. So what do you do, find a suppler of horse meat?

Minimum wage fixes that.
theres no connection where you think there is.

When costs go up, price goes up or content goes down.
Artificially raising cost with minimum wage introduces inflation, business will adjust or fail.
The adjustment will not be what the Utopians wish for.
Then we'll hear the usual excuse about unintended consequences, as if it wasn't obvious this would backfire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom