February Cooking Challenge: Stuffed!

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by morning glory, Feb 4, 2019.

1. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    They look good. I like the way you used cheddar in the stuffing mix rather than 'padding out' with breadcrumbs or rice as is often the case with stuffed peppers.

Yes - I wouldn't have considered cream with avocado either - mainly because avocados are so high in fat already. Interesting.

2. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I can see it - avocado and cream are both very high quality fats why wouldn't they work together?

3. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I'm not saying anything is wrong with it. it's just not my approach and I want to understand what he saw in that combination. The avocado path I would have followed would have been with lime and cilantro. Or cotija alone.

planethoff knows more than i do and i want to learn.

dectra likes this.
  4. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    @phatch and @morning glory

The Avocado Cream sauce was an experiment that worked and was good, but was not exactly what I was going for. I wanted to incorporate avocado, sour cream, and lime into the dish. I thought of many ways to do it, but got this idea of blending Mexican Crema, Avocado, Lime Juice, Lime zest, Jalapeño, and Cilantro.

I wanted to use squeeze bottle to apply so I thinned it out with some Lime Water. Unfortunately, I added too much water and thinned it out way more than I wanted and didn't have enough avocado to add more and didn't want to add more Crema and overtake the avocado flavor.

However, The flavor profile actually worked great with the sweetness of the peppers and the savory of the meat and really balanced it all together. So, in short, I would do it again.

dectra and morning glory like this.
  5. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    thanks for the info

planethoff likes this.
  6. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Ah! I'd never heard of Mexican crema but I gather its a little like creme fraiche so it has a sour profile. This now makes perfect sense to me with avocado and lime!

7. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    @morning glory Exactly. I should have said Creme Fraiche as that was what it was blended with the lime. Thus, Mexican Crema. Then with the Avocado, Cilantro, and Jalapeno.

morning glory likes this.
  8. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Cooking experiments.. may not turn out looking like planned but still tasty! Can fix it next time around!

9. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    It was a snowy day here and what better way to spend it than in the kitchen. I had cabbages leftover from our party last month so as not to turn it all into chicken feed I made Galumpkis (stuffed cabbage), but with a twist. Instead of tired old ground meat and rice for a filling I used turkey kielbasa, D'Artangnon chorizo, onion, celery, garlic, kasha and a fresh sauce with fire roasted tomatoes, tomato sauce and chicken broth.

Filling - kasha, onion, celery, garlic, salt, pepper and thyme - I sweated the sofrito with bay then removed. I blitzed turkey kielbasa, chorizo and garlic in the food proc.
    [​IMG]

Deeply core cabbage then steam - why waste a pot of water and all that energy?
    [​IMG]

Tomatoes, sauce, garlic and chicken broth in the blender then when mixed pour over the cabbage rolls.
    [​IMG]

I tent mine with foil for the first half of cooking @ 350F. Remove and finish so the sauce concentrates and evaporates some. You don't want it too dry though so keep an eye on it.
    [​IMG]

What better company on the plate than some Pierogis sauteed in butter -
    [​IMG]

I really like the way these turned out, but next time I'll add a couple of eggs to the filling for a binder these were a little loose. Much lighter than ground meat and rice and much better flavor IMO.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    planethoff, dectra, butzy and 3 others like this.
  10. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I love that word! They look good and the filling sounds lovely.

11. dectra

dectra

Exp:
    Home Cook

Nice twist on the filling. I find the ground meat / rice to be boring; hadn't thought of using Kielbasa and Chorizo base.

12. hank

hank

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I guess these are more filled than stuffed but I've been wanting to make crespelle manicotti for a while so here they are.

Simple tomato sauce with onion, garlic, bay leaf, and basil.

IMG_0203.JPG

Ricotta, mozzarella, parmigian, piccarono romano, spinach, and black pepper for the filling.

IMG_0197.JPG

The crespelle batter of eggs, water, flour, and salt. I got better making the crespelle as I worked.

IMG_0227.JPG IMG_0232.JPG

Assembly.

IMG_0235.JPG

I made too far many. One pan for us, one for a friend, and one for the freezer.

IMG_0240.JPG

They really were delicious. Much lighter than the dried pasta tube version. Mrs. Hank and I are noodling on different fillings :)

IMG_1786.JPG

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    phatch, planethoff, fatcook and 4 others like this.
  13. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    They are pancakes so I think they are stuffed. :) And they look very good! Very nicely executed.

14. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
  15. harpua

harpua

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    E845BC08-7ACE-4A9B-8ACE-C6E8CC621269.jpeg 76A736FE-2C1D-4B0D-978C-155AB8D93F3B.jpeg 5C07A530-F24A-4683-81D8-392AC0018597.jpeg I made manicotti using homemade crepes. I made the ricotta and sauce and all that Jazz. Stuffed with spinach and pancetta with herbs. Not bad for 3 hours! Happy Valentine’s Day.

16. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    Juicy Lucys

A creation from my wife’s homeland. Minnesota.
    41B65D1D-FF03-47C3-93DE-1C60D88C814E.jpeg

Seasoned ground chuck stuffed with Sharp American cheese. Topped with pickles, carmalized onion, and condiments of choice on a soft sesame seed bun. It was not for the faint of heart.
    CAC0ACAF-3880-4DC9-A70D-DA1C31BE7861.jpeg
    76DB042A-EECC-434A-ACC5-592784F03E7D.jpeg
    007D48FA-1098-4C5E-BA9E-AAC0DF502598.jpeg
    7331DCC8-98AA-43A2-8181-8199B1BEE50D.jpeg

fatcook, dectra, phatch and 2 others like this.
  17. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    They look delicious.

18. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    It's been a while since I entered, and I was looking around the kitchen the other day.

I found some ingredients and started to play.

I call this "Tater Tot Cordon Bleu Waffles with Poached Egg and Hollandaise."

The Taters are coarsely chopped and placed on the hot and sprayed waffle iron.

I place shredded Gruyere on next, followed by the Canadian bacon, and more chopped Taters.

I close the lid and press on it and allow it to cook for 8 minutes on medium high.

The quarters are served with the poached egg and Sauce...... IMG_4494.JPG IMG_4495.JPG IMG_4496.JPG IMG_4499.JPG IMG_4500.JPG IMG_4502.JPG IMG_4503.JPG IMG_4504.JPG IMG_4505.JPG IMG_4507.JPG

fatcook, dectra, planethoff and 2 others like this.
  19. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    ... I’m speechless...

20. hank

hank

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Indeed, at the very least winner of the best name category

dectra and morning glory like this.