February 2021 Challenge - Palm produce

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Okay, I tossed the funny smelling coconut, went and got a bag of shredded coconut from the store. Not going to let the setback stop this surf and turf platter.

The Players

20210225_101200.jpg

And some shrimp and scallops.

20210225_113450.jpg

And a steak.

20210224_123934.jpg

The Process

Got the seafood cleaned and prepped, got the coconut oil heating in a small dutch oven.

Set up a typical breading station:

20210225_142745.jpg

Flour with some Old Bay in it, an egg, and a mix of the flaked coconut with breadcrumbs, also Old Bay mixed in.

Dredge in flour, dip in egg, cover with coconut and breadcrumb mix. Well, the shrimp and scallops, not the steak.

The steak got cut into a piece that would easily fit the platter I planned to use. The seafood got fried, cooled a bit on a rack.

The Product

20210225_145730.jpg

It was a very tasty meal. Not shown is a spicy mayo based dipping sauce. I like coconut shrimp and scallops!

The coconut oil didn't really have a distinctive taste, just seemed like a standard neutral cooking oil. Unlike what I used in my next dish.

mjb.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Okay, sneaking in one last dish. An Ethiopian style goat stew.

The Players

20210227_091803.jpg

The main ingredient is goat meat, of course, followed by onions, berbere spice and to qualify for the challenge an African red palm oil.

The Process

20210227_095924.jpg

Remember how I mentioned the coconut oil used in the shrimp and scallop dish was a neutral oil? When this palm oil got heated up it had a very distinct, pleasantly pungent aroma. Not even close to neutral! Reminded me somewhat of Beech Nut cut leaf chewing tobacco I once chewed 50 years ago during my caving days in Indiana.

While browning the goat meat, I got to work on the onions.

20210227_101539.jpg

Once the meat was seared to my satisfaction, the onions went into the same pot with another splash of the palm oil and a generous sprinkling of kosher salt.

20210227_104920.jpg

Low and slow, stirring about every 15 minutes or so until very soft.

20210227_112833.jpg

Once they looked about right, added about a quarter cup of the berbere powder, kept cooking for another half hour or so. Finally added garlic, ginger and some ground coriander. I thought I had some cardamom pods, but could not find them. Oh well.

20210227_121854.jpg

You would not believe how good the kitchen smelled at this point. Very nice and fragrant! Gave the garlic and ginger about 5 - 6 minutes, dumped in the goat meat and some beef stock. Sad to say store bought, I thought I had some more of my home made stuff. Maybe time for a day of stock production in Mark's Little Kitchen soon.

20210227_125420.jpg

Simmered low and slow for a few hours. Took a while for the goat to get tender.

The Product

20210228_115521.jpg

It really is a shame we don't have aroma digitizing technology. This smells SO good! And it tastes just as good as it smells! Full, rich flavors, nice heat level. A very successful stew.

mjb.

Last edited:

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
How did your digestion handle the palm oil? I'm sort of sensitive to it myself.

Joined Feb 28, 2021
Okay, sneaking in one last dish. An Ethiopian style goat stew.

The Players

View attachment 69805

The main ingredient is goat meat, of course, followed by onions, berbere spice and to qualify for the challenge an African red palm oil.

The Process

View attachment 69806

Remember how I mentioned the coconut oil used in the shrimp and scallop dish was a neutral oil? When this palm oil got heated up it had a very distinct, pleasantly pungent aroma. Not even close to neutral! Reminded me somewhat of Beech Nut cut leaf chewing tobacco I once chewed 50 years ago during my caving days in Indiana.

While browning the goat meat, I got to work on the onions.

View attachment 69807

Once the meat was seared to my satisfaction, the onions went into the same pot with another splash of the palm oil and a generous sprinkling of kosher salt.

View attachment 69808

Low and slow, stirring about every 15 minutes or so until very soft.

View attachment 69809

Once they looked about right, added about a quarter cup of the berbere powder, kept cooking for another half hour or so. Finally added garlic, ginger and some ground coriander. I thought I had some cardamom pods, but could not find them. Oh well.

View attachment 69810

You would not believe how good the kitchen smelled at this point. Very nice and fragrant! Gave the garlic and ginger about 5 - 6 minutes, dumped in the goat meat and some beef stock. Sad to say store bought, I thought I had some more of my home made stuff. Maybe time for a day of stock production in Mark's Little Kitchen soon.

View attachment 69811

Simmered low and slow for a few hours. Took a while for the goat to get tender.

The Product

View attachment 69812

It really is a shame we don't have aroma digitizing technology. This smells SO good! And it tastes just as good as it smells! Full, rich flavors, nice heat level. A very successful stew.

mjb.
Amazingly beautiful. Must taste better than it looks

Joined Oct 23, 2008
Looks great @teamfat .. I think I would plop that over a little rice for sure :) I wanted to try to get one more in as a Thai dish. Thai has so much use of coconut but also some of the most exotic ingredients I've ever seen .. at least in a cookbook. Things like banana blossoms! I do have an Asian store in town that sells kefir lime leaves, lemongrass, galang and dried prawns but they were unfortunately closed. Then I got invited to dinner with family. I'm sure some time this week I can post a Thai dish though!

Joined Sep 8, 2015
Busy month ...

I made a chicken curry dish with a coconut milk base. Potatoes, onions, garlic, and ginger simply seasoned with coriander, cumin, turmeric, and chili. and garnished with with banana, raisins, cilantro, and cashews masquerading as peanuts :)

curry.jpg

Also made a frozen desert. Frozen pineapple and banana and cold coconut milk, into the food processor, and then into the freezer for a little while to firm up.

tempImagevdyy7O.png tempImageYAGvZC.png

It was also good with rum!

tempImage8rG1ut.png

Joined Jan 8, 2010
We got a bit of an end spurt of dishes ;)
It's 1 March here, but because I am too lazy to check time differences, I'll keep this chalkenge open to about 17-18.00 my time.
I'll anounce the winner by then ;)

Joined Jan 8, 2010
We got a bit of an end spurt of dishes ;)
It's 1 March here, but because I am too lazy to check time differences, I'll keep this chalkenge open to about 17-18.00 my time.
I'll anounce the winner by then ;)

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Right,
Time to announce the winner.
Not many entries this month, but definitely a nice start and finish.
Initially, it was a toss-up between Fred and Maddie. But Fred got sick, and Maddie, well al she really wanted was chicken, not kudus!

The winner of this month is @eastshores for creativity in using some of the different palm products.
I also loved @loomchick sThai curry. I really love me a good thai red curry.
@cheflayne gave us a beautiful platter!
@teamfat a plate of surf and turf and an Ethiopian dish that got me wrong-footed. First thought was: I've never had anything with coconut milk or cream in Ethiopia.... But it was palm oil!
@Hank closed off real strong with a curry and desert! That all looked real tasty. Still waiting for those coconut cocktails though. Although the desert with rum got real close ;)
Thanks all for participating!!

Joined Nov 5, 2007
I was thinking it was going to be @eastshores since the salmon and palm hearts dish, but figured @Hank could sneak out a win with not only a curry, but dessert as well!

Well done to all who participated. Looking forward to March. Irish cuisine ??

mjb.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
It was a very very tight call !!!!!
And keen to know the March Challenge.
These things gotta keep going, so I know what to eat for any particular month (and I like the challenge, just to challenge myself ;) )

Joined Oct 23, 2008
Thank you Butzy! I enjoyed this challenge since it got me to try a couple things I've never personally tried and that is really the whole point eh? The month did seem to go by so fast, and I had hoped to use Fred but flat ran out of time. I'm glad others got some great dishes posted. I think I have an idea for March.. I'll post it up by this evening.

Joined Jun 11, 2013
That was a fun challenge! It forced me to learn more about a variety of palm products.

Alas, Maddie will have to learn to live with disappointment. Perhaps a little chicken will distract her.

Top Bottom