February 2021 Challenge - Palm produce

Joined Oct 23, 2008
Well another first for me. I've never worked with dates before. Talk about sticky.. everything was sticky. The goat cheese.. the dates. It was like working with honeycomb. So I did two types of stuffed dates. The first is a garlic herb goat cheese with pistachios. The second is a really delicious Danish blue cheese wrapped in prosciutto. I do find it a bit hilarious that these fancy little dates are sharing the plate with my giant smoked "atomic buffalo turds" .. i.e. bacon wrapped, pimento stuffed jalapeno peppers. Now off to my brothers to see if this Florida team can win the Super Bowl!

I was surprised to see these dates are from Lakeland Florida!
dates2.jpg

I don't know what this is. Something to ponder I suppose
dates3.jpg

Here's the spread with the ATB's in the background
dates.jpg

Joined May 4, 2005
So I don't have a photo, and I didn't make it, but we had a very "palmy" afternoon. I picked up some acai bowls which included raw coconut and date syrup. We proceeded to watch the Amazon episode of No Reservations which featured acai berries and how they are harvested.

Looking forward to using some ingredients for the challenge.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Come on, guys!
February is only a short month. We are almost half-way and only a couple on entries. Outstanding ones, though!
It can't be that hard.
Think coconut based curries, cookies, cocktails....
Use coconut milk, cream, fresh, dessicated....
Or any of the other palm products!
Palm sugar and palm oil shouldn't be hard to get!

Joined Jan 8, 2010
OK, I'm going to cook in my own challenge.
The shops are not very well stocked these days. I couldn't find coconut milk or cream, but I still had this:
IMG_20210214_132142.jpg

Used some tamarind:
IMG_20210214_132258.jpg
Mixed with homemade sambal and the coconut powder to make a marinade
IMG_20210214_132921.jpg
Marinated the chicken thighs
IMG_20210214_134201.jpg

Prepared a drip pan with potatoes, garlic, onions and bacon (bacon not in the pic)
And put the lot on the small Weber smoky mountain.
IMG_20210214_134149.jpg

After a while:
IMG_20210214_155203.jpg

And
IMG_20210214_155216.jpg

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Never seen powder coconut cream before... very convenient!

Part of the reason for coconut milk shortages could be recent boycotting of some companies that are alleged to us forced monkey labor to harvest the coconuts. That has impacted availability somewhat in my part of Earth.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Never seen powder coconut cream before... very convenient!

Part of the reason for coconut milk shortages could be recent boycotting of some companies that are alleged to us forced monkey labor to harvest the coconuts. That has impacted availability somewhat in my part of Earth.
Honestly: that would probably mean more availability here...
But really, the shops in the area I am in only cater for real basics. Our currency is devaluating and with that beef fillet and rump steak seem to have disappeared, same as the better cordials, proper brand whiskies, fresh herbs etc.

Powdered coconut is a bit of a stock item for me. Same as santen (to follow in a coming post). I'm surprised it is not commonly available. It's easy to use and store

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I have some powdered Cocounut Cream. It's getting pretty old though. I should check in on it. For technical reasons, I can't cook for a few more days though.

Joined Jun 11, 2013
February challenge accepted!

Three objectives
  1. Use the leftover rotisserie chicken
  2. Incorporate a palm product
  3. Make something on a gray wet wintery night with some flavor
How about red curry chicken!

Aided for the first time by my new sous chef, Maddie (16-week-old Golden Retriever), the chicken was removed and the carcass was placed in a pot to make stock (probably to use in a warming soup later this week).

Stock.jpg

Maddie, a first-time sous chef, says "Let's eat the chicken!" No, Maddie. We're going to make something else.

Sous chef #2.jpg

C'mon, Maddie . . . this is a challenge. We have to use a palm product. Maddie says "No. Eat chicken! Looks good!"

Coconut milk.jpg

Okay, Maddie. We have a palm product. Now, let's assemble some really great flavors! Maddie says "Eat chicken! Now!"

Thai flavors.jpg

Okay, Maddie. Let's chop up some stuff. How about chopping up some scallions, mincing some garlic, mincing a jalapeno pepper, and dicing up a red bell pepper? Maddie says "No. Eat chicken!"

Chopped stuff.jpg

Now, we're going to combine all of the ingredients together. Maddie says "Looks good. Can I eat chicken now?"

Sauce.jpg

Okay, Maddie. Let's squeeze some lime juice. Maddie says "Ick! No like citrus. Eat chicken!"

Limes.jpg

Now we can add the chicken, blend it all together, and serve it over Basmati rice. Chop up some cilantro and sprinkle it on top. Cut a wedge of lime and we're ready to eat. Maddie says "NOOOO! You took my chicken. No like cooking!"

Plated.jpg

Maddie, the first-time sous chef, was not happy and went and curled up to go to sleep. Perhaps her next experience as a sous chef will be more to her liking.

IMG_6117.JPG

Joined Aug 21, 2004
Not submitted as entry for the monthly challenge.

Palm products used: Coconut Milk, Coconut, Palm Sugar, Dates, Silan

date panna cotta.jpg

Date Panna Cotta made with Unsweetened Coconut Milk and Palm Sugar

Garnished with Silan, toasted Coconut, Pistachios, and Agar Pearls made from Pomegranate Juice

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Wow. I can't believe I actually made this about two weeks ago and am just now posting it. Really been slacking this month, I guess.

The Players

20210208_071153.jpg

A slice of pork loin, heart of palm, green onion, soy sauce and shaoxing wine.

The Process

20210208_091522.jpg

Pork is diced, marinating in the soy sauce, wine and a bit of cornstarch.

20210208_092929.jpg

Veggies prepped.

20210208_100016.jpg

Pork, white parts of the scallion and the palm hearts into the wok.

Pork and palm hearts

The Product

20210208_100510.jpg

It was pretty tasty!

mjb.

Top Bottom