February 2020 Cooking Challenge - Ramen!

Joined Mar 1, 2017
I work again tonight (Sunday) and then have two days off. Hope to get my tonkatsu finished up on those days off, may tackle a shio or miso after that. Big question at the moment is noodles - scratch or store bought?

mjb.
Dealer's choice.
Either one is fine.

Joined Mar 1, 2017
This is my interpretation of Shoyu Ramen. I made two stocks to combine. The first stock, which is the milder of the two, is a chicken stock made with onions, celery, ginger, cilantro and green peppercorns. The second stock is made from a ham bone (with meat), pork loin, jalapeno peppers and green onion.

The two stocks were combined in the bowl on a chicken stock to pork stock ratio of 2:1.

The noodles (sadly) are angel hair pasta cooked in the typical method with about a tablespoon of baking soda added to the water. I thought I had 1 package of ramen noodles left in the cupboard. By the time I figured out it was gone, it was too late to run to the store and definitely too late to make them from scratch.

The eggs were soft boiled for 8 minutes. They were added to the water after it came to a rolling boil and cooked for 8 minutes. Afterwards, they were marinated overnight in a bath of soy sauce, fish sauce, ginger, cilantro, rice vinegar, water and dried orange peel.

The pork is pork loin (not what I used to make the broth). I marinated the pork loin overnight in a marinade of soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, black soy sauce, garlic, ginger, black pepper, rice vinegar and orange juice. I browned the pork on all sides in hot skillet with toasted sesame oil and then roasted in the oven at 300'f for 25 minutes.

I started this adventure early yesterday afternoon and finished about 2pm today. I haven't tried it yet, but, my wife hasn't said a word for about 20 minutes. So, I think it came out ok. :)

Cheers!

Shoyu Ramen.jpg

Joined Nov 5, 2007
I wish I had taken more pictures, as this was a fairly complicated dish to make from scratch. I already posted pictures of the broth in process, made with trotters and neck bones. I ended up making a fair amount of it, will be enjoying ramen for a while.

ramen_broth.jpg

So in addition to the broth, I rolled up a piece of pork belly.

ramen04.jpg

It braised in a broth made from water, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, scallions and a good splash of Chinese black vinegar. After a couple hours, the pork was pulled out and the broth allowed to cool. Once it was about room temp, some eggs went in. The eggs were room temp, put in boiling water for 6 1/2 minutes, then into an ice bath, cooled and peeled. The eggs marinated in the broth for 2 days in the fridge.

I ended up opting for store bought noodles. I will likely attempt making my own soon as I use up some of the remaining broth. For the toppings I made some black garlic oil, which is pretty easy. About a 1/4 cup sesame oil in a small sauce pan, about 4 -5 cloves of finely minced garlic, cooked over very low heat. Allowed to brown, then brown even more, and kept on the low heat until black. You'd think it would have the unpleasant bitterness of scorched garlic, but it turned out pretty good, I was a bit surprised.

ramen05.jpg

In addition the the black garlic oil I pickled some daikon slivers with rice vinegar, sake and crushed red pepper. The tare for for my ramen was 2 parts good soy sauce, 1 part each of sake and mirin.

The end result was quite tasty.

20200219_042220.jpg

Could have used more noodles, forgot to put the black garlic oil on top before taking the pic, and totally forgot the nori. But that egg was perfect, the pork amazingly tender, the broth rich and luxurious.

I'll say it was a very successful attempt at a bowl of tonkatsu ramen.

mjb.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I made this early this month but am only just now coming around to posting.
I'll call it Tai Ramen, or maybe Gaijin Ramen (or just plain old Thai noodle soup ;))

The ingredients:
dried mushrooms (taken with me from Thailand), onion, tomato, garlic, ginger, galangal (grown here from a piece that I took with me), makrut leaves or djeruk purut, or kaffir lime leaves, and lime
01 dried mushrooms.jpg 02 other ingredients.jpg

I still had some smoked neck gammon and decided to marinated that in a char sui way and then roasted in the oven
03 char sui marinated neck gammon.jpg 05 finished meat.jpg

For the soup, I used water as a base with a fair couple of spoons of nam prik pao
04 nam prik pao.jpg

Added the ginger, galangal, onion, garlic, tomato, soaked mushrooms and mushroom water and nam prik from the start
. 06 start of soup.jpg

Then added the noodles
07 noodlles.jpg

And when they were cooked, I added the meat, lime leaves and lime juice and a dash of fish sauce
09 soup.jpg
10 served.jpg

Not as beautifully presented as most other entries, but very tasty none the less

Attachments

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I'll probably have an attempt at lemon chicken paitan or something close today that from the book Ramen Otaku. Needs some more prep time though.

Joined Mar 1, 2017
There are only 5 more shopping days left in the month of February. The entries thus far will make this month's challenge a difficult one to decide.

C'mon guys! Let's see what you can do with this dish. Who's up for the challenge?

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Would really like to put in another dish, but very busy at the mo, breaking a lodge down, storing and transporting.
Maybe I should join the current trend of posting something like "Butzy's current adventures in Africa - starting all over again "

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Ramen Otaku is probably the Ramen cookbook I've found most interesting. Great level of detail, interesting fusion ideas. The other recent read was Ivan Ramen's book. I don't really eat traditional ramen. The fattiness disrupts my digestion and I'm on a sodium restriction. Plus, there are a lot of sub-recipes to traditional ramen that become onerous to me as a home cook.

Her Lemon Chicken Paitan is a fusion dish of southern lemon chicken and greens in a Ramen.

Deviations from her recipe.
Chintan broth. She wants chicken feet and whole chicken. Which is a lot more than I need for my purposes in Ramen. I did have two carcasses from some takeout "Greek" rotisserie chicken from a local Iranian ran restaurant. Other than that, I followed her Chintan instructions.

IMG_20200221_183555.jpg

Pressure cooking stock is not a visually exciting task. 90 minutes.

Release pressure. The intense yellow is because of turmeric from the chicken carcass. They cheap out on using saffron. But it's not particularly out of place imho.
IMG_20200221_202209.jpg
Add ginger slices and kombu. Let steep 40 minutes.

Completing converting the Chintan into Paitan involves Shio Tare which itself involves Sake Dashi. And I just don't have a use for those extras. So I took my best guess with some dashi, sake and a touch of fish sauce. This still ended up salty to my reduced sodium diet taste but I was in uncharted waters. Or stock.

IMG_20200223_173919.jpg
Fresh (ish) Ramen Noodles. I don't need this much but this is what I can find easily. Noodles have many uses anyway.

IMG_20200223_175215.jpg
IMG_20200223_175656.jpg
Charred Lemons for juice for the stock. The cast iron pan scraped clean quite nicely. I was pleased.

IMG_20200223_175405.jpg

Blanching Choy Sum for the greens. Her recipe specfies more Southern green choices but I was at the Asian grocer and thought I'd stick with the theme.

IMG_20200223_174732.jpg
Shredding the leftover Greek chicken.

My assembled bowl.
IMG_20200223_180857.jpg

I like the lemon broth generally. The salt factor was off. It didn't seem unified, which considering my deviations can't be laid at the author's feet. But I feel that way about Japanese soups often anyway. This isn't necessarily a bad thing as contrast can be exciting. But my limited Ramen experience is that it's more unified than this.

My daughter would like to explore this broth further. Maybe a more ponzu tilt than dashi tilt. I'd reduce the ginger amount for the soak. I'd probably skip the kombu just because I'm deviating away from the sea. Probably add the squeezed charred lemons to soak as well for more smoke and zest impact. But hold the juice so it doesn't lose acidity in the reheat. I'm leaning towards spinach or water spinach for the greens.

Last edited:
Joined Oct 9, 2008
teamfat teamfat I love the dish! Can't help it, though. I resisted, but broke down...

It's tonKOTSU. Pork-bone
TonKATSU is pork cutlet.

I know, that's annoying, but I couldn't stop myself....

Joined Sep 8, 2015
I wanted to make a Ramen that I might make again, so a 20 boil of pork bones was out. I made a base of roasted chicken wings and vegetables with a hat tip to thekitchn.

I roasted 5 lbs of wings at 425 until well browned. Then I added carrots and scallions and roasted another 30 minutes.

Raw Wings.jpg IMG_0810 (1).jpg IMG_0812.JPG IMG_0820.JPG

I then made the ramen base with the roasted chicken and vegetable, the deglazed drippings from the roasting pan, along with a head of garlic, a couple inches of sliced ginger, mushrooms, and kombu. The strained base was refrigerated overnight so I could remove the fat. I also made tare by mixing soy sauce and murin in a 2:1 ratio.

IMG_3770.jpg

For the topping I roasted a pork tenderloin marinated in rice wine and homemade hosin. I found fresh noodles and pickled bamaboo shoots at a Japanese market. I chose the thick noodles, but I think the thin ones would have been better.

Mrs. Hank is not a fan of soft egg yolks so I simmered her a scrambled egg in a little broth.

Hanks.JPG

Mrs Hanks.JPG

It's a long way from “Top Ramen with eggs and peas”, our quickie staple since college.

Last edited:
Joined Mar 1, 2017
Remember......this year is a leap year, so you have one extra day this month to get in those entries!

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Ok after an extremely busy week I finally got to make this tonight. I found some lobster fumet in the freezer early this week then added shrimp shells, scallions, leek greens, kombu and Szechuan pepper corns and covered with water and let simmer for a few hours.

I strained that today and tonight I did peeled red pepper, shaved carrot, scallion, jalapeno slices and garlic. I sliced sea scallops and shrimp as thin as I could.

Meantime the broth is heating up and I added Hon Dashi and salt to taste. I cooked my noodles till al dente and put them in bowls then layered my sliced products on including some pickled ginger and cilantro then ladled the very hot broth over and covered. Now the scallop and shrimp are raw at that point and the broth cooked them to perfection.

This was the perfect dish to end a very cold day it was hot and satisfying.

Last edited:
Joined Jul 13, 2012
Funny there were there last night in a non logged in browser - hopefully it's fixed now.

Joined Sep 21, 2010
It's still February 29 here on the West Coast, so here's my Tonkatso ramen, based on Kenji's recipe on Serious Eats. We can get fresh ramen noodles here, but husband and daughter are GF, so I use medium rice sticks and made a couple of other small changes.

Tonkotsu Broth - pig's feet sliced in half lengthwise and crosswise; chicken backs, pork belly pieces; onion, garlic and ginger. No idea how the carrot snuck into the shot.

Brought the bones up to the boil, then drained and cleaned them thoroughly.

IMG_3148.jpg IMG_3159.jpg IMG_3160.jpg
Next, veg were charred in a pan on the stovetop, and added to the pot of cleaned bones, water, plus a handful of muchrooms, the white part of a couple of dozen green onions, pork belly chunks and water.
. IMG_3155.jpg
I removed the belly chunks after an hour - a piece of belly would have been the smarter way to go but the chunks were cheaper.
IMG_3173.jpg

13 or so hours later, the broth was strained into another pot for cooling down. It makes about 3 litres of broth with the consistency of light cream. The bones pretty much disappear, leaving only a few little piggy toe bones.
For veg, I used bamboo shoots, sliced and cooked in soy, mirin and hondashi; blanched shanghai bok choy, and green onion. I also added a piece of nori.
For meat, I added the belly chunks and bought deep fried pork belly from HK BBQ Master, the best belly in town.
To spice it up, I like a bit of chili crisp, soy, and white miso. My husband likes it plain.
IMG_3124.jpg IMG_3186.jpg

All done!
IMG_3192.jpg

Top Bottom