February 2020 Cooking Challenge - Ramen!

Joined Mar 1, 2017
That's right......Ramen!!

I encountered this incredible dish when my wife and I were traveling after I retired. One of our stops was in Japan and this is where I fell madly in love with Ramen. Not only did I love each and every style, I was particularly fascinated with how the Japanese chefs each have their own interpretation of the four styles of Ramen, yet, remain within the boundaries of each style, Shoyu, Shio, Miso and Tonkotsu. They literally treated making ramen as an art. Everything from the noodles and ingredients were made with utter precision and perfection. Their dedication and devotion was truly astonishing.

Anyway, I can ramble about this for hours.

Here are the parameters. You can go as crazy or as simple as you like. You don't have to make your own noodles. Prepackaged noodles and broths are fine. Some ingredients can take some time to make and I know many of you have lives and work etc. I'm not saying that anyone who makes their own ramen noodles or broth from scratch will get extra points (wink wink). What I am saying is that entries will be judged on style, authenticity, presentation, artistry, uniqueness and devotion to perfection. You do, however, have to state which of the four styles of Ramen you have chosen and reasonably remain within the boundaries of that style.

With the level of talent in this forum, I think there are going to be some fantastic entries and I can't wait to see them all!! :)

So, as usual, here are the traditional rules:

• The challenge begins on the 1st of every month. The last entry must be made by the last day of the month.
  • You may post multiple entries.
  • All entries must be cooked during the month of the challenge.
  • If you use a documented recipe, please cite your source.
  • Entries should include the name of your dish and a picture of the final product. Sharing personal recipes and pictures of the process are not mandatory but extremely helpful.
  • The winner is chosen by the person who posted the challenge, and is announced after the last day of submissions. The decision is final and falls entirely at the discretion of the challenger.
  • Submitting an entry makes you eligible to win. If you do not wish to be considered for the win you may still participate in the challenge, but make your wishes known to the challenger.
  • The winner’s bounty includes praise, virtual high-fives, and the responsibility of posting the next month’s challenge. That entails choosing a theme, posting a Challenge thread that includes the guidelines, checking in on the submissions regularly during the month, and promptly choosing a winner at the end of the challenge.
Good luck! And most importantly, have fun!

Cheers!

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
The only ramen I've made was tsukemen and that's cold noodles with a dip sauce and the regular ramen accompaniments. For hot humid weather noodle joy.

Maybe if there is a February thaw...

Joined Jan 8, 2010
eish, that's going to be a difficult one ingredient wise.
I'll have to do some googling...... and put on my thinking cap.
Is is strictly ramen or are things like Thai noodle soups etc allowed as well?

Joined Mar 1, 2017
eish, that's going to be a difficult one ingredient wise.
I'll have to do some googling...... and put on my thinking cap.
Is is strictly ramen or are things like Thai noodle soups etc allowed as well?
Thai noodle soups are included. Why not? Have at it. :)

Joined Sep 21, 2001
My first attempt at Shoyu ramen.
Short rib soaked in pineapple juice, soy sauce, fresh garlic and ginger, then braised.
Dry bag o' noodles.
I used that broth for the ramen. Egg came out great. Tasty, all around.

Attachments

Joined Mar 1, 2017
C'mon guys... February is a short month. I wanna see some more entries. This isn't as hard as it seems.

Great job, peachcreek peachcreek ! That looks delicious!! I love short ribs!

By the way, has anyone seen my "Monthly Challenge Winner" ribbon? I seem to have misplaced it.....:oops: lol!

Joined Mar 1, 2017
I swear it had it a minute ago.......I do this all the time with my cheaters. :) Getting old is rough, pal. As my grandson says..."the struggle is real!" :cool:

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I'm going to interpret "Ramen" as noodles in a brodo, or broth with (usually) a protein and some veg. I did a spin with some clam broth I had in the freezer from a half bushel of top necks, some onion, garlic, lots of parsley, white wine, and mussels steamed in the brodo/broth. If you think this falls outside the rules I'll be happy to delete it, but I'll tell you what it was some good.

Last edited:
Joined Mar 1, 2017
Can't see your pics for some reason. I'd love to see what this looks like.

Sounds delicious though.....like an Italian take on ramen. I dig it.

In order for your entry to qualify, simply state which category of ramen in falls under. :)

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Ok they should be there now. Damn it's getting harder to post pictures these days. :angry:

Joined Mar 8, 2015
That's right......Ramen!!

I encountered this incredible dish when my wife and I were traveling after I retired. One of our stops was in Japan and this is where I fell madly in love with Ramen. Not only did I love each and every style, I was particularly fascinated with how the Japanese chefs each have their own interpretation of the four styles of Ramen, yet, remain within the boundaries of each style, Shoyu, Shio, Miso and Tonkotsu. They literally treated making ramen as an art. Everything from the noodles and ingredients were made with utter precision and perfection. Their dedication and devotion was truly astonishing.

Anyway, I can ramble about this for hours.

Here are the parameters. You can go as crazy or as simple as you like. You don't have to make your own noodles. Prepackaged noodles and broths are fine. Some ingredients can take some time to make and I know many of you have lives and work etc. I'm not saying that anyone who makes their own ramen noodles or broth from scratch will get extra points (wink wink). What I am saying is that entries will be judged on style, authenticity, presentation, artistry, uniqueness and devotion to perfection. You do, however, have to state which of the four styles of Ramen you have chosen and reasonably remain within the boundaries of that style.

With the level of talent in this forum, I think there are going to be some fantastic entries and I can't wait to see them all!! :)

So, as usual, here are the traditional rules:

• The challenge begins on the 1st of every month. The last entry must be made by the last day of the month.
  • You may post multiple entries.
  • All entries must be cooked during the month of the challenge.
  • If you use a documented recipe, please cite your source.
  • Entries should include the name of your dish and a picture of the final product. Sharing personal recipes and pictures of the process are not mandatory but extremely helpful.
  • The winner is chosen by the person who posted the challenge, and is announced after the last day of submissions. The decision is final and falls entirely at the discretion of the challenger.
  • Submitting an entry makes you eligible to win. If you do not wish to be considered for the win you may still participate in the challenge, but make your wishes known to the challenger.
  • The winner’s bounty includes praise, virtual high-fives, and the responsibility of posting the next month’s challenge. That entails choosing a theme, posting a Challenge thread that includes the guidelines, checking in on the submissions regularly during the month, and promptly choosing a winner at the end of the challenge.
Good luck! And most importantly, have fun!

Cheers!

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I'm confused . . . is there a point to that, or are you reiterating the OP?? Inquiring minds want to know . . .

Joined Mar 1, 2017
Happy Valentine's Day!!

Did anyone make Ramen for their amour? Remember, Ramen is a hug in a bowl! lol!

There isn't much time left to submit your entries! :) Time is tickin!

Cheers!

Joined Nov 5, 2007
I work again tonight (Sunday) and then have two days off. Hope to get my tonkatsu finished up on those days off, may tackle a shio or miso after that. Big question at the moment is noodles - scratch or store bought?

mjb.

Latest posts

Top Bottom