February 2017 Cooking Challenge - Citrus

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by millionsknives, Feb 1, 2017.

1. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Sharpen your stainless steel knives. This month's cooking challenge is... CITRUS

Where I am, I'm starting to see good citrus.  There are the obvious ones of course, but I will throw out some uncommon ideas to help you get started.  Tangerines, clementines, key limes, persian limes, Meyer lemons, preserved lemons, ponzu, buddha's hand, pomelo, kumquat for example. You can use the juice or the zest or both.  I will even consider citrus smelling herbs like lemon balm, lemon verbena, lemon basil, lemongrass, lemon thyme, kaffir lime leaf and anything I don't even know about.  

Maybe a beer with the Citra, Cascade, or Amarillo hop varieties?  Ceviches and crudos?  Mojo pork?  Get cooking and good luck!  

Monthly Challenge rules for new people browsing

1) Cook a dish this month

2) Take pictures

3) explain your work

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  2. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    We got lots of limes at the moment, so shouldn't be too hard to come up with a couple of entries.....

3. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    Excellent idea. A visit to the market is now planned. Maybe I'll use some of the lemons I've been preserving. Lots of variations possible. 

This should be fun. I'll have to locate the camera again. 

4. hank

hank

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Vodka Lemonade!  

5. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Nice! No scurvy for @Hank.

My go to drink is a fernet sour: fernet branca, lime, seltzer,maybe a touch of honey

6. pdcooks

pdcooks

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I made key lime pie last friggin night! This is a fun late winter challenge. Although My daughter Sequoia hoped you would pick something red for valentines day ( she has gotten into this). Citrus is a fun thing to work with.

7. hank

hank

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Pdcooks, you will have to use lime berry

Interesting sounding drink MK cheers

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  8. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Hank beat me to it, I was also going to post a drink as a first entry.
    Might still do it :)

9. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Great choice. I already have ideas...

10. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    UUUUUHHHHHH!

I just got some Meyer Lemons from the Green Grocer today (I've been waiting for awhile... hoping that @flipflopgirl  would be sending me some from her tree ;)  )

... Now I have THREE ideas! MMM, now wait FOUR!

Good call there MK!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  11. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Just playing around:

I had some form of a lentil stew/daal in the freezer, made with tomatoes that needed finishing, left over bbq beef ribs and old lentils. It had to cook forever to get them soft.

Anyway, I heated it up and to add some excitement, I added kaffir lime leaves and squeezed lime juice in it

And then became creative with yoghurt (as the stew contained a lot of fresh chili's that needed to be used as well)

Disclaimer:

since the main dish was made last month, this entry shouldn't count, but I posted it to support Million's plan of getting more participation and this shows your dish doesn't need to be perfect....

12. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Sorry GF!

We had our once in a lifetime hard freeze and were out of town.

Were so worried about getting someone to save the dog forgot to get someone to cover it.

It looks pretty sad right now so had adopted a wait and see attitude.

mimi

13. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    This months challenge is near and dear to my heart as a native Floridian. The "sunshine state" has long been a citrus state. More so even when I was a young boy. So in thinking about dishes there was one that I have been imagining for a very long time. When in Florida.. nothing goes better with citrus than seafood! I've always wanted to try a shrimp and pasta dish where I infused lemon into the pasta, and then combined that with lime to create the back and forth play of lemon and lime that so many people enjoy. Shrimp seemed like a good choice but scallops would work well too.

So for my homage to Florida seafood and citrus I started off with the pasta. This is typical semolina egg pasta with the addition of a good amount of lemon zest, and in an effort to really get the lemon flavor in there I used a little lemon extract. I think in the future it might be worth trying to reduce actual lemon juice as the extract has lemon oil and it can leave a strange taste and film on ones tongue.

Once I had the dough formed I let it rest for a little while and then began rolling it out. Linguine would be a nice choice but I wanted to go with spaghetti this time around.

I thought about a lot of different sauces that might work using lime but I didn't want my pasta to end up sitting in some sort of "soup". So I took a classic basil pesto and added the zest of 3 limes as well as the juice of 1 lime. Mortar and pestle is the only way to go if you are making a small batch!

For the shrimp I made a marinade, this time using key lime juice, parsley, olive oil, and a little chili powder. I grilled the shrimp and plated with some lemon zest and a little reserved lime pesto.

14. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    What a time to be alive!  I found mandarins, cara cara orange, and moro blood orange.  Also saw tangelos and clementines.  Too many to buy today!

koukouvagia likes this.
  15. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    @eastshores
      I agree 100% citrus goes great with seafood.  Today I made a fennel salad with lemon zest, lemon vinaigrette, and mandarin supremes.  Dressed some cilantro similarly and pan seared red snapper.  Tomorrow I'll do something with the fumet, clams, extra fennel, and lemon probs

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    kaneohegirlinaz, eastshores and butzy like this.
  16. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Hmm I got like half the snapper left maybe snapper crudo will happen

17. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    My first spree included key limes, organic lemons, moro blood oranges, and persian limes. There's a ton of citrus available and I'm going to hit up the Indian market soon to see what they have!

18. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food

I found these Ball Brand Dry Herb Jars with a shaker top, I thought this would be perfect.

Meyer Lemon and Thyme Infused Sea Salt

The smell in the house was intoxicating!

As I jarred up the first batch, it struck me, these jar lids are NOT airtight,

this won’t work.

That’s okay.  I transferred the Salt and labeled them.

Food As Gifts

I saved a jar for my own pantry, and I'll be grilling up

some Salmon I think, in the next few days with this stuff, MMM!

19. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Probably for tomorrow, maybe Monday.

And some 

Plus some extra seasoning. But those two ingredients are the basis of Pibil style dishes. 

20. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Is that marinade like a mojo marinade? It doesn't say that but I see it has bitter oranges as an ingredient which mojo has also.