Favourite steak.

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by nathan kreider, Feb 26, 2013.

1. nathan kreider

nathan kreider

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    What's your favourite steak? Be honest.

Doesn't have to be strictly beef, whichever animal you want.

If beef, what kind. Black Angus, Kobe/Wagyu., etc.

I have a bit of a love for Black Angus Porterhouse/Fillet, but I can never afford it, and when I can, I can never find a butcher who actually sells it.

2. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    grass fed beef sirloin tops my list, flavor can't be beat.

3. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Grass fed French Salers, "cote de boeuf" grilled over a wood fire, served rare. 

Cote de boeuf = rib-eye steak but French cows being bigger, a 3" thick cote de boeuf will typically feed 4-5 persons. 

4. butcherman

butcherman

Exp:
    At home cook
    FF:

From the context, I guessed French Salers was a breed of cattle.  But Google won't confirm. Their traducion relates to "salt'.  Pls advise.

B' man

5. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    OK.   When I'm paying, value for $$$ goes to hanger steak.   When I'm out and someone else is paying, I'll go with prime rib.   I like my steak med-rare, finished w/ a lightly herbed butter, fresh cracked rainbow pepper corns and a pinch of good pink or grey salt.   +/-2-lbs. of good steak usually suits me just fine.   As said by a slob.    LOL. 

6. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    http://www.associationsalers.com/php/en/index.php

Here we like Aberdeen Angus steaks. There was a classic restaurant La Cabaña, that offered the Great Baby Beef (1000 grams, to share), an impresive wood fire grilled steak. But the actual resto these days is just a touristic thing. Not comparable.

You can get a 500 grams T-Bone of good quality Angus beef for about U$8 at supermarkets.

7. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    It is, indeed, a breed: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salers_(race_bovine)

8. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Porterhouse, 2 inches thick.

Lightly seasoned with salt and lots of cracked pepper, pan fried (cast iron) in butter and worcester sauce blend.

Medium.

Served on the bottom half of a (huge) round loaf of bread that has been toasted in garlic butter.

You asked.

mimi

9. butcherman

butcherman

Exp:
    At home cook
    FF:  Much thanks. A breed originating in Chantal.

Got sufficiently fascinated by this breed that I went to the site of Salers.org to learn more. 

But it's all in French!  The nerve!!

10. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    We spell it (and pronounce it) Cantal. It's also (like most region/city names in France) the name of a cheese: 

11. junglist

junglist

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Ribeye, salt and fresh cracked pepper. And either an ice cold beer, or a dry full bodied wine.

12. butcherman

butcherman

Exp:
    At home cook
    FF:  Thanks for the correction.  Went looking for the province/region of Chantal, and was much vexed not to be able to find it.  Now I know why.  I have a friend at whose house I have stayed who lives in Perpignon, and I wondered how far away was Chantal, oops, Cantal.  Since getting your correction, I went to Zingerman's site and searched for Cantal cheese, and the search engine gave me a Compte.  Are they identical?  Or similar?

13. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Definitely Picanha aka rump cap.  The fat covered part of the top sirloin.

14. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Perpignan.  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif  I've been there many times - wonderful region - lucky you!! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  15. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Back home in western PA we had a buffelo farm that i could get thick as I wanted ribeyes, expensive yes, build a fire out of oak, walnut and apple wood, burn it down to coals and toss the meat right on the coals. One turn to a fresh bed of coal to med rare, off the fire and give it a quick rinse with red wine, cut and serve with fire roasted corn on the cob and whatever else the guest would bring. It was an annule August event at our place. Also, plenty of Bass ale. Here is Sweden its a toss up between moose entecote, hunted, or reindeer tenderloin.

David

16. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    While I prefer venison (moose is my favorite) - for beef it's grass fed rib eye.  Sliced thick on a hot wood fire with just salt and pepper.

17. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    A beef ribeye seared over rocket hot mesquite coals, rare.  Pan seared pork shoulder steak with lots of garlic and black pepper.

mjb.

18. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I've never cooked a steak of pork shoulder in a pan. Now that you've mentioned it I'll have to give it a try!! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

19. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Pork shoulder steaks are a lowly cut, can be on the fatty side, but I really like the flavor.

mjb.

20. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I absolutely love pork shoulder... I've used it for oven roasts, slow cooked on the grill for pulled pork, or braised on the stovetop, even cubed and skewered, on the grill.... but never simply fried as a steak in a pan, I just assumed it would be too tough. But you're giving me enough confidence to give it a shot next time.