Chef Forum banner

Favourite knives and sharpening set ups!

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  foody518 
#1 ·
Hi guys, 

I'm new to the whole forum thing but just wanted to know what peoples choice of knives are and what sharpening set up you have? In short i used to be a chef but now im just an avid home cook with a crazy obsession with knives haha! 

I'm certainly no pro with a whetstone but i'd like to think im fairly competent!? i use a 1000, 3000, 6000 and 8000 grit set up then finish on a chromium oxide strop and i get some crazy results, especially on my Tog knives - they get ridiculously sharp!!! I don't have a youtube channel or anything like that but i have some videos my instagram! if you look at my profile its corey_william_duff . Have a look, see what you think and i'd really appreciate some comments :)  

I look forward to hearing from you!!!

Corey

#2 · (Edited)
Welcome to Cheftalk, Corey!
Recently have been using wide beveled gyutos 240-270mm, like Moritaka AS, Masakage Yuki, etc. Also really like my Ikazuchi & Itinomonn kasumi, fabulous cutters. Alternating gyuto or Suien VC Chuka-bocho.
Main synthetic stones used are Naniwa Pro 400, Gesshin 2000 & Sigma Power 6k, plus cork & a leather strop just to clean up the edge, but keep blowing my money on natural stones (oops).

If you're getting ridiculously sharp Togs then sounds like your sharpening is good!
Edit- just looked up that IG, nice stuff man!

#4 ·
I didn't write that very clearly. I've been playing with my wide beveled knives, the Moritaka and the Yuki (fairly sure it's wide bevel) more recently. However, wanting to throw out mentions to more of my precious knives which aren't wide beveled, then brought up Ikazuchi and Itinomonn in the next sentence :)

#5 ·
@foody518 Thanks pal! I've got a few knives (as you can see) started off with some globals when i was 17, at the time i thought they were the business haha! I'm now really getting into my knives and want to build up my collection more so! I really like the masakage yuki range, i havent used them before but from reviews and videos etc they look pretty sick!

#6 ·
@Corey Duff welcome to here.

Personally I use chinese cleavers for just about everything. My must have knives:

sugimoto #6 chuka

suien vc chuka

itinomonn wa butcher

aranyik heavy cleaver

tanaka 165mm blue steel deba

Everything else is nice to have but I can do everything short of butchery with one of the chuka. Anyway if you are looking for something in particular we will gladly help you spend your money!

#7 ·
@MillionsKnives Hello and thank you!

To be honest i was kind of curious just to know what people are using, and what there personal preference on styles are (japanese, german etc...). I don't chef anymore but i still love getting my knives ludicrously sharp just for the sake of doing it really haha! Sadly i dont have the money to be buying anymore knives at the moment - but when i do i'll let you guys know :)

#10 · (Edited)
The point of a rod is to re-align the edge.  This is not a problem harder steels have.  The edge will break off before it bends.  It is a device invented for soft western knives.

Grit is irrelevant.  The problem is the format of the device means you are placing a lot of lateral pressure on a very small surface area.  I tested a ceramic honing rod for a review on many different knives different steels different hardnesses.  I would say beyond 58 HRC you are getting into chipping territory.  There are variables of course.  Some steels take higher hardness better without getting too brittle,  you might be using less pressure than me (although i barely used any), your knife might be thinner or thicker at the edge, etc

In the 59+ HRC range I do not recommend rods of any type

#11 ·
Part of it may be that the producer suspects needing to account for a number of customers expecting to use a honing rod because that's what they think home maintenance is. Shun sells a rod, grooved, and frankly I cringe at thinking of a home user using that rod on a Shun knife. Of my relative peer group, a small minority of friends&acquaintances recall a parent using a whetstone on their kitchen knives (and usually it's those who aren't from the US). Nearly everyone else seems to primarily know of using a rod or a pull-through machine as a form of maintenance.

Seems like if you have a ceramic rod with some grit level to it which implies abrasion, that unless you are looking for something like a mixed grit edge, it will be partly undoing stone or strop work from higher grit refinement (sharpening with a 6k stone then several strokes with the ceramic rod will affect the 6k refinement). So it can depend on what you are going for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.