Favorite Thanksgiving "side dishes" ??

Joined Jul 30, 2000
OK, what do you think goes great with the bird ?? (excluding dressing & desserts) ??

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Yummy!!!! Mashed Yukon gold and sweet potatoes with brie,bacon and scallions. Brussel sprouts with chesnuts here as well, served in delicata squash cups, Grilled Chippolini onions (instead of creamed)Cranberry/clemintine relish, ( and for only the cooks) A little seared Foie gras with port wine reduction and roast,turned french butter pear

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Oh yeah, I forgot the chilled asparagus and morel panna cotta's And the leek and parsnip Gratin
cc

Joined Aug 29, 2000
My mom's candied sweet potatoes made with brown sugar and lime juice, reduced to a glossy glaze, swirled with butter. Boy, are they great! My brother in law is cooking, and asked me to prepare a recipe from the Food TV site for a green bean/wild mushroom casserole. The recipe sounds pretty pedestrian (bechamel, cheese, green beans, mushrooms...), but we have a lot of dietary limitations among our family members. No candied sweets, at least not this year.... (sigh).

Joined Mar 4, 2000
Ooooh that sounds good, cape chef:
Brussels sprouts and chestnuts in a delicata squash cup... I'm going to my in-laws for dinner, and I'm sure they're not serving that! One weird thing that they serve on Thanksgiving that I've never seen anywhere else is cornichons! I guess it goes, in an offbeat way.

My favorite stuffing is chestnut, but my mother in law makes a great one with brazil nuts too.

Joined Jul 30, 2000
Reading this thread always makes me hungry ...

I'm interested in learning more about the maryland sauerkrout, sounds yummy.

Being from the deep South - we're looking at sweet potato casseroles with toasted pecans (w/o the marshmellows
rolleyes.gif
) then there's the stacks of bacon-wrapped green beans, Spinach Madeline, oyster dressing, and a light fruit salad.

Joined Aug 8, 2000
Oh man, that sounds good! As for me, I like just plain 'ole mashed potatoes made with Yukons and russets. Stuffing made with Acme's foccacia bread. Throw in some roasted veggies (carrot, parsnip, zucchini, and fennel is a fave) and I am a happy woman.

Top Bottom