Favorite Spicy (hot) Dishes

Joined Mar 3, 2014
In the interest of broadening my horizons I'm curious. What are some of the favorite dishes of folks that like really spicy (Scoville speaking) foods.

When dining Indian I try to get them to really spice up the Chettinade or Vindaloo and of course most all Mexican meals. BBQ also is enhanced with a good spicy sauce.

I get a kick out of folks that say I have a "tolerance" for the hot peppers. It's not about tolerance, the heat is an enhancement.

Joined Apr 25, 2011
Any dish can be scaled to any heat level depending on heat tolerance of consumer. Hot sauces are a good way to allow people to adjust to their level. Any food can be made to any level of heat. Ghost chili ice cream was a big hit back in the day.

Last edited:

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Wings of course.

Chile Verde but it's not usually so intense.

Banh mi. I don't know where most local shops get their chiles but they're quite hot to my taste.I often have to remove them.

Nachos.

Last edited:
Joined Nov 5, 2007
Had lunch at a Chinese place here in Salt Lake the other day. They have inexpensive lunch combos, I got beef in garlic sauce with hot & sour soup, fried rice, egg roll and a fried shrimp. The menu claimed the beef was spicy. I found it incredibly bland. And the service was incredibly slow. Not sure why some folks in SLC think the New Golden Dragon is a great place.

Anyway, a couple favorites of mine are deep fried tofu in spicy black bean sauce and eggplant in garlic sauce. Both can be very hot and spicy. The one place not far from my house that did a REALLY good tofu closed up a while back, drat.

Something I have not made for a while is a chicken habanero chile. One batch I made was just TOO hot, painful to eat. So I made another batch about the same volume as the first with no habs at all in it, mixed the two and it was edible. The same variety of peppers can have a wide range of heat levels, hard to judge sometimes.

I'll second jerk chicken ( or pork, or zucchini ) and add Ethiopian doro wat.

mjb.

Joined Mar 3, 2014
The same variety of peppers can have a wide range of heat levels, hard to judge sometimes.

mjb.

I notice this in the peppers I grow. Last years jalapeños weren't as hot as the previous year's and the seeds were from the same pack. I think the abundant rains throughout the growing season diluted the flavor of the thicker fleshed peppers.

Joined Oct 1, 2006
Hi Salty,

I'm a sucker for Salty, crunchy, creamy, sweet, and Spicy snacks.

My lazy go to is: Spreading a dab of crunchy peanut butter on a triscuit to act as a dam to hold the liquid hot sauce. I have to hold at an angle to fill! Sort of a play on Thai flavors.

Not a meal, just a snack...

Joined May 3, 2015
For spicy dishes, Sometimes I go for Mexican or Korean. But here is a funny story when I like something hot. So 4 years ago, I got very sick with a fever and a cold. I had it for 2 days in a row on a weekend. And called out, so when I was really hungry, and went to a Mexican restaurant. I ordered only nachos, cheese and made myself a cup of red chili sauce, green chile verde and curtido. I drank the sauce that I made- and felt and tasted nothing. I brought my head down- Nuts!. Then a customer saw and asked me,"What are you drinking?" I said,"Chile sauce." He had this face :/. Sorry, I am hungry but sick. My olfactory glands, sense of smell and taste are clogged from all the mucus. So yes, I feel it, but cannot taste it. But I needed something to eat. Then bought a hot Beef Soup from them. My sense of taste and smell are working slowly.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Thai red curry, actually most Thai food.
Indonesian (nasi goreng, sambal goreng tempeh, rendang, ajan paniki, rudjak and plenty more)
Vietnamese food
And yes, definitely jerk chicken !

Joined Apr 3, 2008
:emoji_fire:
I get a kick out of folks that say I have a "tolerance" for the hot peppers. It's not about tolerance, the heat is an enhancement.

Not sure what you mean by this but there is absolutely a tolerance factor for me. I’m not someone who can tolerate much heat at all. When I taste something too hot for me it kills all flavor, I may not be capable of tasting food again until the next day. So it may enhance it for you but kill it for others, maybe that’s why people label it as a tolerance.

My best friend is Indian and she finds the food I make to be extremely bland. She thinks Mediterranean food is mad boring and flavorless. Sometimes when I have dinner at her family’s house she convices her mom to tone down the heat for my sake. Her mother keeps apologizing to me that the food doesn’t taste like anything meanwhile I’m all :emoji_fire:

Joined Sep 5, 2008
My best friend is Indian and she finds the food I make to be extremely bland. She thinks Mediterranean food is mad boring and flavorless. Sometimes when I have dinner at her family’s house she convices her mom to tone down the heat for my sake. Her mother keeps apologizing to me that the food doesn’t taste like anything meanwhile I’m all :emoji_fire:
:lol::rofl:

Joined Oct 23, 2008
I like lots of spicy foods but one of my favorites now is from a place that opened nearby about a year ago. It's a Vietnamese pho joint.. they have a "spicy beef noodle" .. it's got a nice warmth and slow burn.. they give you chili paste on the side along with the normal Thai basil, bean sprouts and lime. I usually add some chili and by the end of the bowl I'm sweating in just the right way :mad:

Joined Nov 15, 2012
I like lots of spicy foods but one of my favorites now is from a place that opened nearby about a year ago. It's a Vietnamese pho joint.. they have a "spicy beef noodle" .. it's got a nice warmth and slow burn.. they give you chili paste on the side along with the normal Thai basil, bean sprouts and lime. I usually add some chili and by the end of the bowl I'm sweating in just the right way :mad:

Oh YEH! Found a Vietnamese "sub shop" down the street from where I did an assignment, just south of Boston. they do a spicy beef noodle that's also marvelous, huge portion for $8.50, about half of what you'd pay in downtown Boston and every bit as good. N&P Saigon Subs for any of you South Shore folks. Try a ban mai and a shrimp roll if you're not in the mood for pho, you can't go wrong in this place.

Top Bottom